Author Topic: freezing images  (Read 2734 times)

SeanJ

• View Profile
freezing images
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:05:33 AM »
Hi, i have built up my icam setup (Win XP, dual core processor, no other programs running and the comp set to never sleep/always on) to 3 cameras now, but the same problem occurs in that the images freeze usually after about 3 or 4 hours, requiring restart of icam source. CPU is running at about 30 something usually and i'm fairly competent with getting the best from my machine, I'm open to any suggestions that might cure my freezing.

thanks.  Sean

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: freezing images
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:51:29 AM »
What's the Brand/Model of your cameras?

Do you see this same behavior if you run only one camera in iCamSource?

SeanJ

• View Profile
Re: freezing images
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:05:55 PM »
Hi Jay,
 I think iv'e probably spoke to soon as my system has a bunch of variables that I could eliminate - ie coming up from 1 camera again going straight into the computer and watching for freezing. For the record i'm running x3 logitech 9000 webcams and a cheaper little trust webcam, but my issues probably exist in the fact that i run one cam on a cat5/usb 40 metre extension (with powered hub at the end of it) and another cam on an active usb repeater, so there are possible issues (or not) there.  

All in all im very pleased that i can run 4 cams, now I have to get past this freezing problem, hopefully my machine can handle it, cPU  = 30ish, and it displays fine in my iphone. I'll report back if there's anything to say after getting more basic with my setup again.

thanks.  Sean
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:12:50 PM by SeanJ »

SeanJ

• View Profile
Update
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »
*bumped*

hi, just an update in case my experience helps anyone else. I used to run 4 webcams (all the same logitech 9000's) with various extensions: cat 5 to usb converter over 30 metres, an active repeater over 20 meters and good old straight into the computers usb's with the remaining 2. I had freezing problems and crashing quite a lot.

I stripped everything back to basics, flushed the registry settings with a file you can get on this forum, then reinstalled the program again and setup  the 4 cams straight into the comp, all this running ok on my Core Duo 1.97 GHZ comp with 2gigs ram. My CPU averages between 40-60% - quite high but this is my dedicated security computer - used for nothing else.

I then set about attaching x3 usb active extender cables. 15, 20 & 25metres and ran the 4th cam straight into the comp, and that's where i'm up to now. I'm having the occasional freeze of the odd camera but am stretching things a little so it isn't too surprising. Getting rid of the Cat5 to USB extension cable seemed to help me and staying with active usb repeater cables.

For those that want to go the extra mile - you can setup repeating scheduled tasks which can run a batch file to restart Icamsource every few hours (or whenever you like really), this hopefully rectifies any occasional freezes or glitches that might occur, also the comp reboots itself once a day. All in all I can mostly leave the comp running without needing the monitor, and that's my (almost) maintenance free system. It's hard not to fiddle for better performance every now and then though!

regards.  Sean

...forgot to say that am also using Dropbox to store files off site, and thanks to OUAntony for help with troubleshooting and suggestions.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:03:31 PM by SeanJ »