Author Topic: Blue Screen  (Read 4048 times)

chuckster

• View Profile
Blue Screen
« on: April 01, 2009, 05:42:51 PM »
Anyone out there experiencing a blue screen.  I've been running iCam all day long to see how it goes.  On both days, after several hours of running iCam, my computer crashed and went to blue screen.  I can't find anything too odd in the event logs.  XP with Logitech 9000 Pro.  Anyone with a similar experience?  And a solution?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Screen
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:49:07 PM »
We've seen a few crashing issues before, but not a blue screen.   Are you able to view the webcam on your phone before it blue screens?

What makes you suspect that iCamSource is the cause of the blue screen?  Have you tried leaving your computer running without running iCamSource? Does it still blue screen? 

One thing you might try is to download and install the latest .NET Framework from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en

chuckster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 04:54:12 PM »
It is not the standard BSD.  It says something like "If this is the first time you've seen this screen, try rebooting your computer . . . "

The webcam is running for several hours before it crashes (5 or 6 hours seems to do it).  Today, I checked it moments before the crash (on my iPhone) and then decided I was letting it stay on too long and tried to log on at home, through the Cisco VPN, to shut it down, but I was too late and could not log on.  Getting home, I see the blue screen.  Again, it has happened every time I let the program run for several hours (somewhere around six hours).  My computer runs 24/7 without the program on.  I've just checked the version of .NET running and it appears to be .NET CLR 3.5.30729 as the last release.  I'll check for something more current.  If others are not reporting a similar problem, it must be something unique about my system.  Thanks. 

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »
There are a few things you can try.

1. Make sure your webcam drivers are up to date.  The latest drivers are here: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/435/3056&cl=us,en?osid=1

2. If your webcam is plugged into a USB hub, try plugging it directly into a USB port on the computer.

3. If it's already plugged directly into the computer, try plugging it into a different USB port.

chuckster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 08:18:45 AM »
Thanks.  I'll try those things.  I used to have it plugged into one of the monitor's extra ports and then moved it to the CPU box with the same results.  I did just run iCam on another computer (a near twin to the Dell giving my problems) and it ran fine for over 12 hours.  It is obviously some issue with my computer or software installed on the machine.  I'll keep searching it done.  If I find something relevent, I'll post my results.

Bryce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 07:21:03 PM »
I am experiencing the same problem exactly that "Cheucster' has had this SKJM Forum regarding the "Bluescreen" of Death and am using the exact same Web Cam he is using. All of my drivers are up to date.

Throughout the day today (just installed the iCam Source software on my Gateway and Sony Vaio in the office and I am getting a non standard BSD on my Gateway (64-bit processor).  It says something like "If this is the first time you've seen this screen, try rebooting your computer . . . "

Works fine on the Gateway except for the occasional Blue Screen. Never got the BSD until this morning about 4-6 hours after I installed the iCam source software on my Gateway. NO PROBLEM WITH THE VAIO's built in cam.

I am able to view the webcam on my phone before it blue screens. After the Blue Screen the computer reboots itself and then have to reboot and start iCam again. 3-6 hours later BSD again.

The webcam is running for several hours before the BSD crash (3 or 5, 6 hours seems to do it).

Again, it has happened every time I let the iCam Source program run for several hours (somewhere around three to six hours).  My computer runs 24/7 without the iCam Source Software program was loaded on.  I've just checked the version of .NET running and it appears to be last release.  I've been running iCam all day long to see how it goes.  Again after several hours of running iCam, my computer crashed and went to blue screen. 

I can't find anything too odd in the event logs.  running Vista Ultimate with Logitech 9000 Pro (latest software).

This has happened 4-5 times today. iCam Source Software works fine on my Mac and Sony Vaio. 

I have tried the following:

1. I have made sure your Logitech 9000 webcam driver is up to date. 

2. I have tried plugging the Logitech directly into a USB port on the computer.

3. And I have plugged it directly into a different USB port.

Any other advice for me?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:21:19 PM »
Thank you for your extremely informative post, and I am sorry that you are having problems.

One thing you could try is to see if any another video / webcam software causes your computer to blue screen if left running for a while with the webcam engaged.

Since the Vaio also has the built-in webcam you could try choosing the Logitech as the video input and the built-in mic as the audio input and see if it blue screens or not. You can then also switch the choices, using the Logitech for audio and the built-in webcam for video. This could help narrow it down to see if it is the video or audio aspect of the camera, or it might make no difference at all.