Author Topic: CPU load very high when using ICamSource  (Read 10359 times)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: CPU load very high when using ICamSource
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 04:30:08 PM »
Is it the iCamSource process only that spikes up to 100%? Or is it the total % CPU of the system? What is the total % CPU of the computer before the iCamSource is launched?

SingingSnail

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 01:21:23 AM »
The whole machine goes to 100% with the iCamSource process doing 80-90% of that.

The machine is doing nothing much else.

I have Kaspersky installed - and that might be having an affect. I'll try without tomorrow - when I'm back at home.

SingingSnail

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 04:15:07 AM »
I dont seem to be able to insert an image  :-[ so cant show you the trace.

Anyway, I ran it this morning...
   - no Kaspersky or FireFox
   - no movement and no iPhone connection
   - paper over the lens to avoid movement
   - sound on

It runs for 15 minutes at 20% then peaks for 7 minutes, comes back down for 8 and then peaks for 7 and then comes down and repeats this 15 minute cycle.

There are no other apps that show any CPU ... the System process shows about 25% of the CPU of iCamSource and follows the same pattern. The audiodg process shows around 10% of the CPU of iCamSource and follows the same pattern.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »
One thing you can try is separate the webcam and its drivers from the rest of the iCamSource.

To do this, click the Ethernet / Wi-Fi tab instead of the USB / FireWire / Built-In tab for your camera and use the following public camera's MJPEG URL: http://lwsnb146-cam.cs.purdue.edu/mjpg/video.mjpg?resolution=320x240

Does the iCamSource's CPU usage max out in a similar fashion when it is connected to a network IP camera instead of your USB webcam?

SingingSnail

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 07:53:35 AM »
It does it with the USB camera, the built in camera and the URL you provided.

However, the behaviour does change.

For the USB and built in ... I get four periods of 100% CPU per hour - each lasting 7-8 minutes. For the URL I get two periods per hour each lasting 7 minutes. They all then repeat this behavior.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »
Is it just the iCamSource that spikes to 100%? Or the computer as a whole? If you have the iCamSource running but "Stopped" does it peak at 100% a couple of times an hour? And if the iCamSource is not running at all?

There shouldn't be any processing that happens that infrequently with the iCamSource.

SingingSnail

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 01:02:45 AM »
The computer CPU goes to 100% ... ICamSource is the majority of that with the System process next (25% if iCanSource). Nothing else is anywhere close. I've turned everything else off so it's definately iCamSource.

When "Stopped" nothing happens and when ICamSource is not running then nothing happens (obviously).

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 11:42:20 AM »
Is it the iCamSource that is at 25%?

SingingSnail

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 12:08:51 PM »
Nope ... iCamSource is by far the biggest CPU ... System next (25% of iCamSource) ... then audiodg (10% of iCamSource).

Total = 100%

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »
Is there only the one camera in your Cameras list on the left-hand side? Is Motion Detection still disabled?

If you enable Motion Detection and then click the View button are there recorded motion events in the motion events folder? Is the motion events folder in the default location? (Within the User's pictures folder.)

We can try and replicate the issue on our test machine to see if we see the same result.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 04:12:40 PM »
Also, how are you monitoring the % CPU usage over an hour?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 05:21:56 PM »
After letting the iCamSource run for over an hour by itself (using 2-3% of the CPU) the overall CPU twice jumped to around 75-100% for a number of minutes each time. The culprit process was the "Antimalware Service Executable" MsMpEng.exe  - http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-vista-tips/what-is-msmpeng-exe/

thinkr

• View Profile
Re: Re: CPU load very high when using ICamSource
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 11:45:06 AM »
Keep up the good work, Icam is a very good app and hopefully next releases have improved performance :-)

Dude Are you Serious!!!! Your complaining about trying to run 6 IP cameras on a *#$%ing Atom Processor!
Let me be the first one to tell you that is about the dumbest idea i have ever heard of other then the fact that your complaining about PERFORMANCE of the Program to the developer like its his fault!!!  If I were you I would try to run windows vista on your brand new Atom processor and complain to Microsoft that the performance sucks~! Im surprised SKJM is such a good developer that they didn't just delete your post for how ridiculous of an idea it is.  You obviously have no idea how software works or how much processing it takes to process an image, let alone 6! I'm trying to say this nicely.  You need a faster computer then a little pos peck peck netbook to run a security system guys!  SKJM please add more detail to the system requirements of icam such as processor specs this would help remedy performance complaints from others.

Much love,
KC 8)

ps. SKJM is a great developer help them work on actual issues not be bugged about you and your cheap hardware!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:00:25 PM by thinkr »

SingingSnail

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 05:30:28 AM »
Stefan ... just to let you know that I'm doing some longterm background tests on my PC to try and see exactly where the issue is. As most people dont seem to be seeing this issue - I'm working on the assumption that it might be specific to my system.

I'll also try this on a friends PC to see if I can duplicate.

I'm using PerfMon as my main logging tool - along with Task Manager (to see the active processes). I can send you traces if you give me your email address.

This will all take a little while due to other commitments. I will let you know the results either way.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 03:09:48 PM »
Stefan ... just to let you know that I'm doing some longterm background tests on my PC to try and see exactly where the issue is. As most people dont seem to be seeing this issue - I'm working on the assumption that it might be specific to my system.

I'll also try this on a friends PC to see if I can duplicate.

I'm using PerfMon as my main logging tool - along with Task Manager (to see the active processes). I can send you traces if you give me your email address.

This will all take a little while due to other commitments. I will let you know the results either way.

Thank you for the update.

You are correct in that there are not any other users reporting this issue, but it would be good to know what the cause of the issue is, in case any other users have similar problems in the future.