Author Topic: All 4 cam's = fast. 1 full screen = slow  (Read 9469 times)

Craig0

• View Profile
Re: All 4 cam's = fast. 1 full screen = slow
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 02:58:43 PM »
If you uninstall 2.1.6 and install the previous version (2.1.5) do you see the same frame rate issue? - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSetup2.1.5.exe

Hi I uninstalled 2.1.6 and installed 2.1.5 from the link provided, but the issue persists.  Interestingly the icamsource still reports it as version 2.1.6?? 

Craig0

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 03:00:12 PM »
If you uninstall 2.1.6 and install the previous version (2.1.5) do you see the same frame rate issue? - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSetup2.1.5.exe

I unsinstalled 2.1.6 and installed 2.1.5 from the link provided, but it made no difference.  Also I noticed that the iCamsource window still reports it as version 2.1.6? 

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 12:36:31 AM »
Sometimes the uninstaller doesn't remove the iCamSource directory properly.  Please uninstall 2.1.6 again, and then verify that the iCamSource directory has been deleted (probably C:\Program Files\iCamSource\).  If the directory is still there, delete it manually.  Then try installing 2.1.5.

Craig0

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 11:31:06 AM »
Hi....Ok got 2.1.5 installed, but unfortunately it makes no difference. 

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
How often does the image refresh when you're viewing in fullscreen?

Does the "Better Frame Rate -> Better Image Quality" slider have any effect on the fullscreen framerate?

Craig0

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 07:33:01 AM »
How often does the image refresh when you're viewing in fullscreen?

Does the "Better Frame Rate -> Better Image Quality" slider have any effect on the fullscreen framerate?

I would say maybe 2fps when zoomed in.  The slider does seem to make some difference.  I wonder if this could be related to video codecs installed on my system? 

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »
We have seen instances where video codecs slowed down the processing (or even caused crashes).  In particular, we've heard reports that ffdshow can hijack the image processing, causing slowdowns.  It's hard to say, 2 fps isn't too far where I'd expect the framerate to be.  The theoretical max. is 10 fps, but most people won't see that.  2 fps is a little sow, but I'd still say it's within the normal range.

Craig0

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 08:32:27 AM »

Hmm....I have ffdshow installed.  Maybe I will uninstall ffdshow and see how that goes.  Actually I shouldn't say 2fps.  It is more like I get smooth video for a brief moment and then the video stops for a brief pause ,maybe 2 seconds, and repeats like that.

I also have air video installed which uses

We have seen instances where video codecs slowed down the processing (or even caused crashes).  In particular, we've heard reports that ffdshow can hijack the image processing, causing slowdowns.  It's hard to say, 2 fps isn't too far where I'd expect the framerate to be.  The theoretical max. is 10 fps, but most people won't see that.  2 fps is a little sow, but I'd still say it's within the normal range.

shogo_tnt

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 12:52:28 AM »
I just purchased iCam today and it's great!
I do notice this exact same issue also.

I'm running iCamSource 2.1.5 and 4 Cisco-Linksys WVC80N.
I'm running a Q9550 CPU and AT&T DSL.  CPU usage avgerages 5% on 4 cores.

When I'm using 3G, the framerates between the 4 screen and 1 screen is close (low fps).
When I'm using Wifi, the framerates on the 4 screen is good and the 1 screen is slower.
The 1 screen is either choppy or smooth and pauses every 2 seconds.

I have the Standard K-Lite Codec pack installed.
I uninstalled it to remove the ffdshow but it makes no difference.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
Can you guys reproduce it?

Thanks!

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 10:56:38 PM »
We have seen jerky or choppy video in certain situations, but I'm not sure if we've seen the specific behavior you described.

How long does the video play smoothly and how long does it pause for (just trying to figure out if there's a pattern or if it's random)?

shogo_tnt

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 08:52:14 PM »
We have seen jerky or choppy video in certain situations, but I'm not sure if we've seen the specific behavior you described.

How long does the video play smoothly and how long does it pause for (just trying to figure out if there's a pattern or if it's random)?

The Better Frame Rate -> Better Image Quality does have an effect on fullscreen.
If I turn it all the way to Better Frame Rate, it is smooth but the quality is low.
If I leave it at default which is around 40% and i get .5 sec freezes random around 1-2 secs.
If I turn it all the way to Better Image Quality it jumps around like 1 fps.

The weird thing is when I jump back to the 4 screen with my Image Quality at max, the screen is smooth.
I do notice the Quality slider does increase/decrease the quality of image on the 4 screens mode.
I'm wondering why there would be a difference in smoothness between the 4 screen vs full screen.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 02:37:03 AM »
There is a tradeoff between image quality and framerate.  The better the image quality is, the slower and choppier the framerate will be (and vice-versa).

The thumbnails are smaller images and require less processing and bandwidth.  In addition, each camera has it's own thread for image processing and communication.  That means that four thumbnails will be handled by four different threads, while the fullscreen mode will only have a single thread processing a larger image.  It's possible that's why you're seeing a difference between the thumbnail view and the fullscreen view.

shogo_tnt

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 02:06:53 AM »
That makes sense regarding the smaller images vs larger image.
Thank you.

There is a tradeoff between image quality and framerate.  The better the image quality is, the slower and choppier the framerate will be (and vice-versa).

The thumbnails are smaller images and require less processing and bandwidth.  In addition, each camera has it's own thread for image processing and communication.  That means that four thumbnails will be handled by four different threads, while the fullscreen mode will only have a single thread processing a larger image.  It's possible that's why you're seeing a difference between the thumbnail view and the fullscreen view.

striders

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2010, 12:03:46 AM »
Where do you see the "Better Frame Rate -> Better Image Quality"? I don't see that in the iCam Windows app nor the iPhone app.

I checked each tab in the Windows app and nothing.

Scoobydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 04:18:01 PM »
Just thought id add to this incase it helped anyone else.

I was suffering from the 1sec pauses when viewing my webcam full screen on my iphone. Small thumbnail it was perfect. As soon as i went to full screen i would get a pause every few seconds which made the picture very jumpy, lowering the quality to nearly the bottom helped but it wasnt pefect.

Anyway... I was running a linksys wrt54g router with the linksys firmware. Ive upgraded the firmware to 'Tomato' for other reasons, I tried icam after the firmware upgrade and guess what... no stutter, no pauses, i can run full screen via wifi and have it on virtually max quality without any loss in frame rate and its stutter free.

It seems my problem with the stutter and pauses was down to my linksys firmware on my router.
Dont know if this will help other people with this issue but its worth looking into.