Author Topic: when run as a scheduled task, iCam source just says connecting  (Read 6751 times)

nyvin

• View Profile
when run as a scheduled task, iCam source just says connecting
« on: November 10, 2010, 04:40:13 PM »
I then click Stop, then start and it works - I need it to work via the scheduled task.

Has always worked in the past, problems started with 2.1.4 of the iCam Source.

Tried the port forwarding stuff, that made no difference at all.

Any ideas?

PC is Windows 7 x64.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: when run as a scheduled task, iCam source just says connecting
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:25:25 PM »
You tried manual port forwarding? Or uPNP/auto port configuration? Have you tried uninstalling icamsource, using the registry cleaner provided by SKJM, and reinstalled icamsource?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 12:27:09 AM »
Are you using any command line arguments when you launch iCamSource?  The old version of iCamSource had command line arguments but they don't work in version 2.0 or later because multi-camera support was added.

nyvin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 05:28:27 PM »
Tried manual port forwarding, tried the UPNP Auto Port Config, tried uninstalling and removing all the registry component, reinstalled and exactly the same thing happens.

Anyone else successfully running the iCamSource as a scheduled task?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:09:11 PM »
Here's how I did it (and I have it running successfully on Windows 7):

1) uninstalled icamsource and used SKJM's icam registry cleaner
2) reinstalled icamsource and used SKJM's registry file to enable the manual port forwarding checkbox (and set up manual port forwarding in router and ensured ports open in firewall)
3) installed dropbox (use it to backup motion events offsite for free) - optional
4) executed icamsource, enabled manual port forwarding, set up all cameras/microphones, and changed the directory for motion events to my dropbox folder (optional)
5) clicked start in icamsource so all settings would be remembered...then stopped icamsource, then exited icamsource
6) installed Microsoft's Windows NT Resource Kit and followed the directions here to add both dropbox (optional) and icamsource as services: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890
7) In the same registry "folder" for the icamsource service, I created a new REG_MULTI_SZ key named DependOnService. I changed the data to read DropBox (the name I used for the DropBox service). (optional)
8) Start > Control Panel > Admin > Services: Ensure that your icam service is enabled and is automatically executed...also make sure you have entered your Windows username and password for authentication.
9) Reboot computer and hopefully it will all work. I had to give my computer a few minutes for the network card to activate/connect...then it started working for me.

Astr0x

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:06:32 AM »
I am having the same problem as the OP, except i am running icam on a XP machine dedicated to my two Foscam 8910w cameras.

I had a windows scheduled task set to run from 8:50pm - 6:50am Sun-Thur for a total of 10 hours each day.

But it just says connecting when task is ran, tried manual port forwarding, auto ports tried uninstall re install used reg clean.

I would just let it run but i noticed when its running it kills my wireless speeds pretty bad so i don't want to go that route if possible.

If i did the service would i be able to set it to run at set times?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
First, and most important question, do you have uPNP enabled in your router settings? If not, the "auto config router" option in icamsource will not work (make sure "manual port forwarding" is disabled when "auto config router" is enabled (or vice versa).

Running it as a service will not fix your "connecting" problem. When you tried manual port forwarding, did you enable manual port forwarding in icamsource? I believe it would have required a .reg file download from the forums in order to get the manual port forwarding option to even appear. And did you also enter the port forwarding information in your router? If so, you might try to attach a screenshot of your router's port forwarding settings so your settings can be verified. The router settings are the trickiest part of the whole deal. Going back to your scheduling issue, there is a built-in scheduling feature in icamsource. If it won't do what you're trying to do, you can use task scheduler (as you've done) to start icamsource (which should have the "auto start" button checked in it), and you can use task scheduler to execute a batch file to kill icamsource at a certain time. If you want to try that, copy and paste the text below (without the quote marks) into Notepad, click File > Save as..., change the "Save as type" to "All files ( *.* )", and type "iCamReset.bat" (without quotes) as the file name and click Save. Now use task scheduler to run this batch file (same steps as you took with icamsource.exe) at 6:50am on the desired days. Here is what needs to be copied/pasted into Notepad (without quotes):

"taskkill /f /im icamsource.exe
exit"

You mention that that your wireless speeds are bad when icamsource is running. That should not be true. The only time you might notice a change in your Internet connection is if you're actually viewing the camera(s) in iCam from an off-site network/location. Otherwise, it is only using a tiny amount of Internet data. If you are noticing Internet speed differences with icamsource running, you might verify that it's not just your computer running slow, as icamsource can potentially use a significant percentage of your processor's power. If the computer is running ok, and your Internet speed is slow, AND you're using IP cameras (not USB cameras), then it could be that your router is on its last leg and needs to be replaced...wifi strength is often the first thing to go. I've noticed, with a couple of my routers, that they start to become very unstable when they're ready to die...and can easily slow down or lock up under significant network load (large amounts of data or several active users).

Astr0x

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 06:20:44 AM »
First off with the WiFi speeds it still works just viewing the cameras is slow via Foscam software on my pc and any connected devices like ipad ect see a speed decrease if icamsource is running they still work but as were they would see 12Mbps they now get around 5Mbps(icamsourcerunning) i will test this more but it was definitely annoying.

I originally had icamsource running via upnp which was enabled in my router (Linksys WRT54GS with DDWRT) and was getting the same problem, i also tried the manual ports with registry checkbox and forwarded the ports in my router.

Now the ports i may have done incorrectly im assuming i need the ports range from 12000-12100 open?
here is screenshot. I have the dedicated pc set with a static ip in my router.

I did however have a batch file to kill icamsource everyday i will have to grab it off the other pc but it looked similar to the one you posted, i also have task to reboot pc daily.

I also noticed that after i started having the problems even starting icamsource from the start menu with autostart it is not connecting until i stop and start it again.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 07:42:40 AM »
I'm thinking you entered the port forwarding information in the wrong screen on your router. I'm not positive, but the information you entered correlates most closely with the "virtual server" options on my router (which is not the same as yours). Make sure that you are in the firewall rules/port forwarding rules section of your router settings. Usually, when setting up a port forwarding rule through your firewall, it will allow you to select a LAN-side port number (or range) and a WAN-side port number (or range). Your options only allowed you to select one range. Honestly, I don't know why the virtual server settings behave differently than port forwarding rules, but they do...at least in my experience. Anyway, the information will mostly be the same...the main difference being that you'll enter the port range twice. Try that out...and also make sure there are no known issues with your version of DD-WRT and your router in regards to port forwarding (I remember reading of some in the past). Make sure that you're using the same port range (with at least 5 UDP ports per camera being forwarded...so you don't have to forward 12000-12100, which opens unnecessary holes in your firewall. If you only have 1 camera, you really just need to forward UDP ports 12000-12004. Also make sure that your computer is assigned a static IP address on your local network (192.168.102 should be the IP address of your computer --NOT camera-- according to your screenshot). You can do that through the TCP/IP settings on the computer, or some routers allow you to do it.

Once you get the port forwarding set up correctly (assuming that's the problem), all of your connection issues should resolve themselves...with no more need to click start/stop.

I meant to mention, in my previous reply in regards to setting up icamsource as a service, there are definitely benefits to doing it that way...and you can start/stop services through task scheduler, just as you can when not running it as a service. The real benefit of running it as a service is that icamsource can start automatically when the computer turns on, which would not occur if your computer account is password protected because Windows needs to display the desktop in order to run the "Startup" programs. If you take advantage of your computer's BIOS settings and set the computer to power on after a loss of power event, then your computer would turn on immediately and icamsource start shortly thereafter in the event that power is lost and restored. It also makes it less obvious to any computer user that icamsource is running in the first place, as it won't show up in the system tray. But it not being in the system tray is also a downside, as well...you have to stop the icamsource service, then run icamsource from your start menu (or Windows Explorer) in order to access the settings/etc.

Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 08:32:15 AM »
Back to the original issue that nyvin posted...I have been having the same issue for some time as well.  If I have iCamSource as a task or even in the startup folder and the Auto-Start Checked, when the computer reboots it says Connecting....  The cameras don't connect.  If someone just toggles the Start button everything connects.  A while back I installed Jumi to be able to toggle the Start so that the cameras would work. 
I often wonder though what would happen if the Auto-Start had a delay feature that could be set for 1 to 5 minutes.  Just a thought...

Merlin

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »
Our developers have not been able to replicate that behavior, however it would be different for different systems. The Auto-Start delay has been requested in the past and is currently on our list of potential features to implement in the future.