Author Topic: Where are files stored?  (Read 73018 times)

ottanon

• View Profile
Where are files stored?
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:54:54 PM »
Ok, silly question. I have my icam saving the motion files. Where is the default location of these files and/or what is the extension of the files so I can located them.

Thanks

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Where are files stored?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 01:17:26 AM »
The default location is in the Pictures folder for the logged-in account (My Pictures in Windows).

If you click the View button in iCamSource (Motion Detection tab), it will open the folder containing the motion event image files.

ottanon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:08:12 AM »
excellent thanks.  Does it store Video also? Where would these be located?

ChiefBragg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:52:50 AM »
Where are these files stored on the Mac OS?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:50:36 PM »
By default in the Pictures folder of your home folder.

ottanon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 06:48:22 PM »
for some reason I only have the pictures but no video. Does it save the video?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »
No, the Motion Events are stored as images. You can use various third-party applications to combine the still JPEG images to a movie file, if you want. (I have used QuickTime Pro in the past.)

rlm1949

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 09:54:45 AM »
I currently computers operating and Iphone waits to do its thing. If the computer shuts down I can not view videos on my phone. 

Question, if the videos are stored on the source computer, and the computer is stolen while viewing images, how does this program assist me in safe-guarding the home?  I must be doing something wrong. Before you reply, my thinking is to save, what appears as IM, to the phones camera roll, but if the computer is stolen in the process, they got the video.  Please advise. ???

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:52:57 AM »
A number of users (myself included) use the free DropBox service to automatically upload a copy of the recorded motion events to a remote server in case a computer is stolen or there is a power loss: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.0

werto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 04:44:59 AM »
I love your app, I've recommended it to many many people.

Dropbox is a good option to store the image files in the cloud, but I like SugarSync better. The free account gives you 5GB vs only 2GB with Dropbox. Individual folder syncing across computers is easier with SugarSync in my opinion.

I hope this doesnt come across as spam because it will benefit all who sign up through this link - free accounts will get an additional 500 mb, and if you sign up for the cheapest paid plan (30 GB - $4.95/month) we both get an additional 10 GB (yes, that's TEN GIGS FREE). You can easily access all files right from the phone app or any web browser, so sending an entire folder of images to the cops only takes a couple of clicks. Pretty slick!

https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=fidof95nxokpx
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:49:11 AM by werto »

JK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »
How big is the files that icam send to dropbox? If the files is huge, then it takes a lot of time for Dropbox to sync and upload it. Or maybe it is devided into packages?

Thanks,
JK

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 06:55:11 PM »
The individual files are the JPEG images captured from the webcam, which will be around ~10-100 KB each (depending on the camera's resolution, compression, etc.).  There may be a  lot of them, though.

JK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 03:16:19 PM »
ok. I thought it was not individual images, but filmclips.

So how quickly does a 2gb dropbox get filled when camera is capturing?

And is there any way to get Dropbox or Sugarsync to delete or overwrite files a day after, instead of constantly saving images if one don't need to see them.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 05:18:40 PM »
So how quickly does a 2gb dropbox get filled when camera is capturing?

Images are only captured when motion is detected. (It is not constantly writing images to the hard drive). If your iCamSource was constantly detecting motion the maximum number of files written would be two every second.

And is there any way to get Dropbox or Sugarsync to delete or overwrite files a day after, instead of constantly saving images if one don't need to see them.

Not that we are aware of, no.

There is a setting in the iCamSource to limit the size of the Motion Events Folder, however. Once the iCamSource has reached that limit it deletes the oldest events to make room for the new ones.

steveken

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 02:22:24 PM »
A number of users (myself included) use the free DropBox service to automatically upload a copy of the recorded motion events to a remote server in case a computer is stolen or there is a power loss: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.0

Just as a word of caution, I did this with my dropbox account for a while. It used up a crapload of data on my Comcast line. It made me almost go over the limit before I realized what was going on. That was before the zones feature was put in, however, so I am not sure if that will fix it. I have not tried again. I just thought I would mention the insane amount of data that was getting used on my line because of the dropbox uploading.