Author Topic: Command Line / Auto Start in Windows v2.1.1  (Read 3995 times)

bfineman

• View Profile
Command Line / Auto Start in Windows v2.1.1
« on: September 19, 2010, 03:11:51 PM »
One feature I depend on for iCam is the ability to start automatically on boot, when my server reboots for whatever reason. Previously this had to be accomplished by writing a .bat file. After upgrading to v2.1.1 (Windows) my .bat files stopped working. As it turns out, this is because the developers did us a favor and made everything much simpler.

It is no longer required to run multiple instances of iCam for multiple cameras. One instance handles all of your cameras. Also, the information is stored (somewhere) so it's no longer required to include it in the batch file. The net result is that the .bat file is no longer required. Simply configure your cameras and drop a shortcut in your start folder. Or, you can be like me and just delete everything in the batch file you already have except

cd C:\Program Files\iCamSource
start iCamSource.exe

So, thanks for this developers. Also thanks for accomplishing two of my top feature requests: more than four cameras AND scheduling. You guys pretty much rock.

viop-ninja

• View Profile
Re: Command Line / Auto Start in Windows v2.1.1
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 08:42:25 PM »
A couple of questions.  I'm not familiar with the .bat file you are referring to and am wondering if you can provide a bit more detail as I also need the ability to have iCam start automatically in the event my WHS server is rebooted.

Previously I was running services for multiple instances of iCam for my three different cameras but it would appear that is not needed any longer.

Thanks!

GR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:05:59 PM »
For those like me who did not have a batch file, would you be kind enough to detail what needs to be done for iCam to automtically restart say after a power failure or similar. I have my PC set to auto reboot but I have never been able to get iCam to restart as writing a batch file is beyong my ability. It seems that the latest version makes this process easier but I still don't know where to start. Thanks.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 10:02:04 PM »
I haven't figured out how to get icamsource to run at boot...so I'm still using the directions to run it as a service posted by viop-ninja (which I am grateful for). I use the Windows NT Resource Kit to run icamsource as a service at computer boot (even multiple instances by creating a service for each instance -- good for pre-version 2 icamsource). I also created a service for dropbox (using same directions as for icamsource) and added it as a dependency to the icamsource service.

I have used this method successfully in Windows XP Pro, Windows Vista Home, and Windows 7 Pro. The directions can be found here:

http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=447.0

If you are running icamsource 2.1.1, set up the multiple cameras in one instance of icamsource and then you don't need to set any AppParameters in the registry. To make a service dependent on another service (such as dropbox for free offsite motion capture backup), add the following information to your registry after step 6 of voip-ninja's post halfway down the page:

DependOnService    REG_MULTI_SZ     DropBox

The above multi-string value was added to my icam service key. Now, dropbox and icamsource both run at startup. If your network connections service doesn't start at bootup, you'll want to change that service so that it will also start at boot. Good luck!

viop-ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:07:20 PM »
Thanks.

I strongly suspected that removal of the ap paramaters key was all that would be necessary to continue running it as a service but was not sure (and didn't want to run it and have a locked up box, etc).  I will just make that change and keep running it as a service as it is far easier than .bat files, etc, once you have it set up.

viop-ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »
Got it figured out.  After installing 2.11 I forgot that it still needs to be set to 'auto start' even if it is running as a service.  Seems to be working fine now from what I can tell.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:56:06 PM by viop-ninja »