Author Topic: Auto-config in 2.1?  (Read 1806 times)

Zarkov

• View Profile
Auto-config in 2.1?
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:08:41 AM »
Stefan- You may recall that I, among many others, have a DSL modem which is also a router (though not advertised as such) from AT&T.  This has meant that I had to use port forwarding, which is tricky for many to setup (and for which I am thankful for your extensive help in completing the setup). 

My question is, does iCam Source 2.1 substantially improve the firewall penetration capabilities of iCam so that port forwarding is no longer necessary?  Or should I let sleeping dogs lie, so to speak?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-config in 2.1?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:32:22 AM »
Zarkov - If things are working for you with port forwarding I wouldn't change anything. :)

The router auto-configuration is something that does help a percentage of users that would normally need to perform port forwarding in their router to be able to connect, and all it involves is the checking of a checkbox. Router auto-configuration doesn't work in every case, so we look at it as the thing to try before doing the full-on manual port forwarding. It can also help us detect a Dual-NAT situation where there are multiple nested routers on an internal network, although it cannot help configure multiple routers on the same network.