Author Topic: A thread with a list of USB/Firewire cameras  (Read 1864 times)

Kevan

• View Profile
A thread with a list of USB/Firewire cameras
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread with tested cameras by everyone so that people thinking of getting this app can see if their current webcam has been tested OR if they are thinking of getting this app they can look at the list to see which one to by. The user who is saying their camera works could also write a small review.

For example:

Creative Webcam Live! Motion.
Works pretty well I have had this camera for years. I was worried about its lack of low light sensitivity but was presently surprised by how well it worked with the iCamsource software. This cam does move. So i can aim it with the creative software then start up iCamsource.

twink

• View Profile
Re: A thread with a list of USB/Firewire cameras
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 06:48:16 AM »
I have 3 Agama V-1325R Night Vision Infrared 1.3M Pixel Webcams. They cost about $35 each at Amazon. Because they show IR, some daytime colors tend to shift to red/brown. Grass and tree leaves are shades of brown but most painted items, such as cars, keep their colors pretty good.

They have IR LEDs built into them but the LEDs are not powerful enough to show anything farther than about 5 feet from the camera in total darkness. So I also purchased several YY Trade IR30 - 60-90 degree WideAngle 30 LED Indoor/Outdoor Long Range 50ft IR Illuminators. They run about $17 at Amazon and come without the 12v adaptor. These IR lights only use about 3w of power and have a photo sensor that turns them off during the day. They are also nice and small, about the size of a tennis ball. At night when they are on, if you look directly at them, the light has a slight glow, similar to a cigarette but is hardly noticeable.

Although they claim 50 feet, they work best at about 10 to 25 feet. I have one on a ledge in my screened-in back porch pointing at my French Doors about 14 feet away. At night, in otherwise complete darkness, the camera has a good well-lighted view of the French Doors and several feet of wall and floor around them. When the doors are open, the inside of my house is also plainly viewable.