Author Topic: iCamSource performance on Atom  (Read 2128 times)

BerMakiah

• View Profile
iCamSource performance on Atom
« on: April 22, 2013, 12:13:17 AM »
I'm looking reduce the heat production of my electronics. I replaced my old PC with a Trinity powered one and I want this system to sleep when not in use. The only thing preventing that was iCamSource, so I replaced my two Logitech C260s with two Dlink DCS-930Ls that can run standalone. To say that I greatly prefer the notification and archive system of iCamSource would be an understatement. I'm thinking that a used netbook may be a good compromise as a low heat iCamSource server for all four cameras. My question is whether this is feasible and what specs affect iCamSource performance the most. Can I get away with a single core hyperthreaded 1.6 ghz Atom, or should I look for a dual core atom, 1 vs 2gb RAM, intel vs ION chipset, XP vs 7, etc?

Thanks!

geezfools

• View Profile
Re: iCamSource performance on Atom
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:45:37 PM »
kinda wondering the same thing, would love to be able to put my iMac to sleep while I'm gone during the day, letting the netbook handle all the business. Plus I want to look into a backup battery in case power is cut or it goes out due to the weather. I have a dell mini 10v that i don't use, maybe I'll give this a shot next week sometime...

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »
We are not familiar with that particular hardware setup, however the main things that effect CPU usage are the # of cameras, motion detection, and the frame rate of the cameras.  If you are maxing out your CPU, you can change the rate of motion detection processing in iCamSource and change the IP camera framerate in the camera's settings.

Captain Eddie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »
I have two Logitech 525 cameras connected to an Eee Box with a dual core Atom D525 at 1.8 GHz running Windows 7 32-bit.  The good news is that it draws only 11 watts.  The bad news is that two cameras is all that it can handle!  I attempted to connect a third, but the machine became so sluggish as to be unusable.  I attempted to load Win XP onto this Eee box, but could not get drivers for its network card or for its wireless card, so I gave up and put Win 7 back onto it.  I do have the Log Me In client running on it so that I can remotely administer it, as it is monitoring a vacation house that is quite a drive from where I normally live.