Author Topic: Internet connection slows down with icam  (Read 1476 times)

jutang

• View Profile
Internet connection slows down with icam
« on: June 27, 2012, 06:14:39 AM »
I have 2 Dlink DSC-942L on my wi-fi network. When icamsource is up and running it significantly slows down my internet connection. On speedtest.net, when icamsource if turned off I get d/l 20 mbps and u/l 5 mbps. When icamsource is activated it, I get speeds of 1.5 mbps and 0.5 mbps respectively. My ISP is xfinity. I've tried the speedtest on the computer that is running the icamsource program and my other computers that do not have the icam programs and all have the same internet speed issues. My router is an Asus RT-N56U. I have not done any port forwarding. Anyone know what is going on and how to fix this?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Internet connection slows down with icam
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:01:41 PM »
Try plugging your computer running icamsource directly into your modem (removing the router from the equation). Then try your speedtest with icamsource running and not running. If your speed stays consistent, then maybe it's an issue with how the router is handling the traffic...in which case you might have to enable uPNP (if not already) or set up manual port forwarding.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Internet connection slows down with icam
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:26:06 PM »
If you have 2 network IP cameras on your network and it slows down when the iCamSource is running, it is likely that your WiFi network is being bogged down, thereby slowing down everything.

Are your cameras set to stream at a full 30 fps? If you decrease the frames-per-second of your cameras to between 2 and 5 fps I am guessing that things will improve.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:24:12 PM by SKJM Support »