Author Topic: New Feature -> No Broadcast  (Read 2124 times)

dkb52

• View Profile
New Feature -> No Broadcast
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:28:41 PM »
We are making plans to move to a house in the country.  Currently, there is no internet, Edge, or 3-G networks available.  Still, I would like to use iCamSource to "keep an eye" on that residence by recording motions events without attempting to connect to a network.

This would allow me to review the recorded events in iCamSource; without the need to watch them "live."  A simple (hehe), check box to start iCamSource without the broadcast.  Implying I know I do not have a connection; but record the events anyway.  I know I would not receive any notifications of motion; however, "if" something was amiss when we were there, we could review the events on iCamSource while there.

Thanks for consideration!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:38:28 PM by dkb52 »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: New Feature -> No Broadcast
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »
Will it not record motion events without connecting? I haven't tried it. But one thing to consider...if someone breaks in while you're out, they'll probably steal the computer...which is where your images will likely be saved.

dkb52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
To be honest, I haven't tried recording with out connecting either.  I've always worked to "get connected," through port forwarding and router configurations, etc. I never checked iCam Source to see if it times out, when it cannot connect to the broker server.

The "other house" is monitored by an alarm system.  Even though they could steal the computer running iCam Source there; hopefully the authorities would be quick enough to prevent it.

There are other options like upgrading the current alarm system; but considering what I paid for iCam and iCam Source, the "No Broadcast" option would grant me more "bang-for-my-buck."   J/K of course, because SKJM support (and products) have been outstanding in all my endeavors

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:06:04 PM »
For any properties with Internet, just use DropBox (free) to backup your motion events to their servers...then it won't matter if they steal the computer too. :)

dkb52

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 04:18:47 AM »
For my satisfaction, this issue is resolved  :)

From a "hint" from OUAnthony, I set up my computer and iCam Source as usual.  The iCam Source preferences window did show "connecting;" but after an hour did NOT time out, and the motion events were indeed recorded.  So, I was able to accomplish what I set out to do!

As usual, GREAT support forum!