Author Topic: Need advice on i cam cameras and laptap please  (Read 1387 times)

pam

• View Profile
Need advice on i cam cameras and laptap please
« on: June 20, 2012, 12:20:01 PM »
Hello, I just got this app yesterday and love it to watch my animals while Im at work. But I have a question...when we go out of town, I would like to watch them as well.

So,my question is can I use small cameras throughout my home for this? I dont want 2 laptops out in the open while Im gone, and would love to use small cameras that arent visible. And if so, what kind can I get that are relatively inexpensive. I know I have to have my laptop on for the program, but I just want to set up 4 small cameras for the video. Any help would be so much appreciated!

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on i cam cameras and laptap please
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »
You can add up to 16 webcams or network IP cameras from a single computer, although your computer's hardware limitations (USB bus, CPU, memory) may further limit that number.

To add a camera, click on the + button underneath the cameras pane and follow the instructions below:

For USB, FireWire, or Built-In webcams, you should be able to make your choice from the Audio and Video drop-down lists underneath the USB / FireWire / Built-In tab.

If you add a stand-alone network IP camera, you first need to find the correct MJPEG or JPEG URL for your camera. Enter it along with your camera's Login and Password (if any) into the iCamSource.

More detailed instructions are available at our Getting Started pages: http://skjm.com/icam/help/#setup

Please note that iCam supports Built-In, FireWire or USB Webcams and DV Cameras as well as select MJPEG-compatible Network IP Cameras.

We also discuss the recommended cameras on our forum at: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=908.0
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:24:51 AM by SKJM Support »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Need advice on i cam cameras and laptap please
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 10:19:12 PM »
If you're looking for really small cameras, webcams are probably your only bet. IP cameras tend to be pretty big (5" x 3" or so). You'd probably want to place your laptop in a central location (maybe a hallway) and use a few webcams (without USB extension cables) pointed into various rooms that you want to monitor. If you have a Mac Mini, I've noticed that a number of people on here have had issues running multiple cameras because of an underpowered USB bus. When you pick out your webcams, don't waste your money on HD cameras, etc, if you only plan on using it/them for iCam. Apple limits streaming webcam apps to 640x480 resolution, so anything above that has to be reduced in size, which will slow your computer down/waste electricity.