Author Topic: Audio from IP Cam - transcode/encode via computer & send to iPhone / iPod ?  (Read 2628 times)

Livin

• View Profile
I know that iCam does not support audio on RTSP due to iPhone OS not supporting it (damn Apple engineers) so...

What about using a MAC/PC component that would transcode/encode the RTSP stream and send it to the iCam client on the iPhone/iPod?

The app called 'Streamer' (Free available in App Store) streams audio from my IP Cam to the iPod Touch or iPhone without issue.

I think iCam is nicer and would like to use it if this functionality could be added.

SKJM developers... can you add this?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Actually,  iCamSource doesn't connect to IP cameras using RTSP, it uses MJPEG or JPEG data over HTTP.  We have begun investigating the different audio formats used by IP cameras and if we determine there is a standard format used by a large number of cameras (similar to MJPEG for the video), we will probably be adding support for that format in the future.

Livin

• View Profile
Does your app support Audio over MJPEG directly from the IP camera?

3GPP and RTSP have long been standard and widely adopted to send audio/video streams to mobile devices.
Even Apple's web site calls 3GPP & 3GGP2 "the worldwide standards for the creation, delivery and playback of multimedia over 3rd generation, high-speed wireless networks." (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/3gpp/). Funny how the hypocrites at Apple don't support them, or their own Quicktime app, within iPhone OS.

Only recently has MPEG-4 and H.263 started to be used more widely in IP cams. MJPEG is old/inefficient and does not carry audio well in many cases.

I hope you will support RTSP and/or 3GPP as these are the methods all recent/decent IP cams use.

ploppy

• View Profile
Never mind, wrong forum
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:58:24 AM by ploppy »