Author Topic: Help setting up multiple cameras in 10.7 on Lion  (Read 2304 times)

digitalmenace

• View Profile
Help setting up multiple cameras in 10.7 on Lion
« on: October 11, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »
Hello
I used to use iCam and iCam source, but stopped about a year ago.  I only stopped because it was a bit costly to run my Custom intel i7 based Gamer PC with 1.2KW power supply dual graphics cards, and numerous hard drives.  The power consumption was too great to justify.

So, I stopped.

I purchased a Mac Mini and upgraded it from a Core Duo to a Core 2 Duo and put OS X 10.7.5 on it.  I put come Microsoft LifeCam HD's and Logitech Orbits AF.  Individually, these camera's work great.  However, when I attempt to use more than one camera in iCam, only one will display within the client software.

Please help.  I guess I missing something here.  Prior to this venture, the older version worked perfectly.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Help setting up multiple cameras in 10.7 on Lion
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:25:13 PM »
I know some of the Mac Mini's have underpowered USB hubs...meaning there isn't enough power to run more than one camera at a time. I can't remember if anyone has tried it, but you could try using a powered USB hub.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 10:16:02 AM »
OUAnthony is correct. We've heard reports of problems of certain Mac models that prevent multiple USB cameras working simultaneously due to an issue with the USB bus. It isn't a problem with iCamSource in particular, because the problem occurs with other programs as well.

You can find out if this is the problem you are experiencing by trying to open two of the cameras in different programs simultaneously (such as iChat or Photobooth).  For example, open one camera in Photobooth and then try to open a different camera in iChat.

digitalmenace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 09:54:02 PM »
Ok guys.

I've tried four different powered hubs.  Everything from a cheap 7 port to a very expensive 4 port.  I get the same results.

So, I tried other cameras.  The local Micro Center had Microsoft XBox Live Vision cameras on clearance.  I know these cameras have great image quality for their size. 

Guess what?  Same thing.  If any more than one camera is connected, I only see the first camera.  The others turn on and off.  I've tried each camera by itself and they all work.  I then try adding one at a time. Sometimes I get two working, others not.  It's happening on all three Mac Mini's and my Windows 7 i7 machine.  What camera's should we be staying away from seems to be more the question.

I remembered that previously, I had used some cheap GearHead(I think that's the name) cameras and they worked flawlessly - other than the poor picture and color quality.  What gives?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 12:28:51 PM »
It is an issue with certain Mac computers. Since it is not an issue with iCamSource unfortunately, it is not something we can provide a fix for.

fhall1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 03:35:38 PM »
If you want a decent surveillance system, get some IP-based cameras instead of trying to mess around with USB web-cams and hubs

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 05:04:17 PM »
Yes, if you would like to run multiple cameras, we generally recommend running WiFi Network IP cameras.

We discuss the recommended cameras on our forum at: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=908.0