Author Topic: Mac Mini, USB Cam (Xbox Live Vision Cam), Picture is black  (Read 7498 times)

Jvlien

• View Profile
Mac Mini, USB Cam (Xbox Live Vision Cam), Picture is black
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:51:06 AM »
Hi,

I have got an Intel Mac Mini with OS X 10.5 with a Xbox Live Vision Cam and there is no picture. When I start iCamsource the green ring on the camera lights up but the picture shown in iCamsource is only a black box.
All the other software I used this webcam worked perfectly (including you competitor AirCam). I have purchased the iCam app for the iPhone and successfully used it with other webcam (Mac or Pc) but I am unable to make it work with this Webcam.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mac Mini, USB Cam (Xbox Live Vision Cam), Picture is black
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:28:52 AM »
Are there any other applications that are using the webcam when you are attempting to connect via the iCamSource? If so, make sure to close them first and then re-launch the iCamSource.

Jvlien

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:59:07 PM »
Hi Stephan,

I am absolutely positive that no other application uses the webcam at the same time. Fo ex. I can open VLC and stream locally qtcapure:// without problem, then close it and start iCamsource but then no picture. And as I explained the led on the webcam turns green (meaning, it is properly activated) as soon as it is in use. So before I start iCamsource, the led if off (not in use) and when I start iCamsource, it turns green (in use). I suspect there is either a problem with the video format or with the selection of the right device for the video signal (I also have a DVB-T tuner hooked on this computer)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:51:31 PM »
Do you have all of your OS X updates installed? (I wasn't sure if you actually have 10.5 or 10.5.8, which is the latest.)

If you download and try this older version of the iCamSource, do you still get a black screen when you click the Start button? - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource.dmg

Jvlien

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 06:55:49 PM »
Hi,

Sorry for the delay.
I do have Mac OS X 10.5.8.
With the older iCam (your link) I don't have a black picture. It works fine.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 10:53:40 AM »
Interesting.

If you run the old iCamSource and are able to see an image, if you then close it and run the latest version, is it still black?

Jvlien

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 12:12:46 PM »
Yes, unfortunatly it is still black

Jvlien

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »
Any thought ? Any log file I could check ?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 04:50:17 PM »
Are you using Macam to connect to the Xbox camera? Or is it a UVC device?

We may need to put together another build of the iCamSource that generates logging information so that we can see what the issue is. I believe that other users have had success with the Xbox webcam, so I am not sure what the issue might be.

Jvlien

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 08:38:52 AM »
Hello,

I don' t use Macam, the Xbox camera is a UVC device.
I can use it use it with VLC without any problem using qtcapture:// as the device
The led on the camera is activated when I click on start on IcamSource that's why I thought about a video format issue but as other users successfully use this webcam it should come from my setup. What is the difference between the old release and the lastest one in term of device selection, video format etc ?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 06:52:46 PM »
Does the webcam work with Photo Booth and iChat?

I believe the difference is the place along the QuickTime capture session that we extract the image ... I would have to look through the old code to see what the difference is.

I am assuming that you have the latest QuickTime installed as well as any other updates?

We might have to get an Xbox webcam to see if we can replicate your issue, although as you say, other users haven't had problems with it.

Jvlien

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 07:32:08 AM »
The camera used to work with Photo Booth and iChat but I have just updated OS to Snow Leopard and now it works with iCamsource too. So I guess we will never know what was wrong.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »
So it wasn't working in Leopard but it does in Snow Leopard?

Strange.