Author Topic: "No Sources Found. There are currently.....  (Read 9358 times)

izzy035

• View Profile
"No Sources Found. There are currently.....
« on: November 12, 2011, 11:55:43 PM »
...No running iCamSources associated with your existing login and password."

Ok so I decided to shell out the steep $4.99 for this app and have not gotten it to work as it's supposed to, since I did. I have a Macbook and an iPhone and here is my issue. The web app starts perfectly and does what it's supposed to and I'm able to monitor the camera from my iPhone. Then, after a few hours, I no longer receive push notifications alerting me of movement and when I try and open the app, I get the above mentioned error message. Here is the weird thing...When I come home, the camera is still running. If I stop the web program from running and restart it, I am able to access ALL recorded movement events, even for the timeframe that I lost the ability to access the camera remotely from my iPhone. So very strangely, the camera remains running but I loose the ability to use the iPhone app to view what's being recorded.

I have deleted and reinstalled the app on the phone, as well as on my Macbook, but the error still happens. The login and password are obviously correct because there is communication between the computer and the iPhone (even if it's temporarily). I have checked to make sure there is no firewall issues, and I don't even have a firewall up on my Mac, so that obviously isn't the problem. What else can it be? Can anyone please give any insight? This is awful and I am so upset that I spent this money on an app that doesn't even work the way it's supposed to. $.99 is reasonable for an app, and at times, even that is pricey. $4.99 is absurd, and even more so, that it doesn't work.

Thanks for any help!

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: "No Sources Found. There are currently.....
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 01:31:48 AM »
First of all, I am not associated with SKJM...I'm just a huge iCam fan. With that being said, you think $4.99 is steep? Seriously? Have you never purchased software? Have you never paid for customer service from a company like Microsoft (far more than $4.99/hour)? For $4.99, you get a well-designed program, top-notch customer support (you'll soon see), access to your live camera feeds/motion events in a secure manner virtually anywhere in the world, and FREE upgrades (ex: they recently added Pan/Tilt/Zoom support for some cameras, etc). If $5 is too much for all of that, then I'm not sure what planet you live on. Wherever it is, I want to live there. At the end of the day, you have to realize that the SKJM guys cannot control all variables (such as network configurations) that affect the ability of iCam to work seemlessly for everyone. It's not their fault, as they have no control over the Internet and how ISP's configure it. In the future, you might consider giving a small company a chance to fix YOUR problem (read on) before you bash their product. If SKJM customer service doesn't get you up and running within a day or 2, I'll eat my words.

With that being said, the behavior you are describing is strange. It sounds like maybe your router/modem is freezing up or that your ISP is possibly changing your IP address or that your computer is powering down your network adapter in order to save energy or that your wireless router is dropping the connection to your computer. Any of those would explain why you're losing connection, but the computer/camera continues to record motion events. I'm sure customer service will want to know the version of icamsource that you are running, along with your Mac's OS version.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:50:55 AM by OUAnthony »

izzy035

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 07:05:12 AM »
Whoa Whoa Whoa!! I wasn't bashing at all. And you're right, they are helpful, as they've actually been trying to figure out the problem, but we haven't gotten it to work the way it's supposed to, yet. I also know that it's not necessarily their fault or the software but as a user, I'm frustrated. I wasn't bashing, I was just looking for more help, if possible. I've actually convinced 3 other people to purchase the app being that I believe in its potential. And when you purchase apps that the majority cost $.99 and you pay $4.99 for one, that isn't working the way it's intended to, a little bit of stress should be allowed, so give me a little slack to vent a bit.  :) 

Yeah, the behavior is VERY strange. Especially because even after I lose access to the camera from the iPhone app, it's still actually recording from home. Even when I finally get home and find that my dog has already eaten my blanket, the camera is  still running. I just don't have access to any of those recordings until after I shut down the program and restart it. I then have the ability to view all that was recorded during the day. Very weird, but if any other suggestions are available, please let me know.

THanks!

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:38:08 AM »
I understand your frustration...but you came to THEIR site and complained about their product without giving them a real chance to fix it. I just think that's kind of rude...especially when the chances are REALLY good that it's not their fault. Just because it's the Internet doesn't mean you shouldn't temper your words...especially if you're asking for help in the same post. It's like slapping someone (you essentially told them that they are ripping people off)  and then asking for help. Anyway, back to your problem...

I am not a Mac guy, so I can't tell you how to do it...but did you check your power settings to make sure that the network card wasn't being disabled? You might try opening a webpage that keeps a constant connection with their server (I believe facebook does this for the chat feature)...leave it open while you're out and about. If your problem goes away, it is definitely an issue with your computer or router losing connection. Also verify that your computer is not going to sleep. It seems like at least one previous Mac model required the monitor to stay on in order to keep recording images (but that's not your  issue).

Are you on a wireless network? If so, how far away from the router is your computer? If the signal is weak, your Mac could be dropping off the network...which would at least temporarily cause your issue. Have you e-mailed customer service your IP address? They can access their server logs to possibly help diagnose the problem. Also, have you tried using a previous version of icamsource on the computer? Based on the description of your problems, I'm 99% sure it's an issue with your Mac's network connectivity.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:30:06 AM by OUAnthony »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »
Lorena (our primary support person and "SKJM Support" on the forum) has been going back and forth with izzy035 via e-mail for the past few days. Unfortunately the issue is one that no other users are reporting, one that we cannot replicate (I really tried to do so this weekend), and one that we have not encountered before. The information from the iCam Broker Server logs indicates that it's not the "frequent IP address changing" issue that OUAnthony mentioned, so we are still trying to get to the root cause of the problem.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 05:30:28 AM »
Bummer. :(

brokendemo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »
You can add another to the list. I have almost the same problem. Mine is weird in that I will check the camera at 1pm (or whenever) and it will be working great. Then I will check again at 1:20pm and I get the error described above. Then, after feeling annoyed and using Remote Desktop to make sure the connection is ok and the camera is still running (it always is), then I will check again later at 2pm and it will be working again. It has been happening a bunch lately. Could it have anything to do with server load? I don't really know much about such things, but I just noticed the "donate to help with server costs" button and it occurred to me that maybe that could be an issue?

It can be pretty frustrating, whatever the issue.

BradTRN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »
Hello all,

New to the iCam app as well, and Im a huge fan.

I too have this problem- and can say Im having the same issue as brokendemo as well except I work night shift - so my primary time of use for the app is from 6pm - 8am,  and around 1am or 2am for the past two nights I lose connection with one camera.... the same camera both nights.

Now, currently (and temporarily) I am using my iMac + a Rocketfish HD Lite USB on my first level, and a macbook + a Rocketfish HD Lite USB on my second level. Same set up - the iMac and the RF work all night, but the macbook and Rocketfish do not.....

Here is the kicker - the ONLY CAMERA THAT GOES OUT - is the Rocketfish - the macbook iSight continues to work and stream video.
And like the rest, I get home the Rocketfish that lost connection is still running and appears to be working just fine.  With a quick stop and start on the iCamsource program, it reconnects.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 12:47:29 AM »
You can add another to the list. I have almost the same problem. Mine is weird in that I will check the camera at 1pm (or whenever) and it will be working great. Then I will check again at 1:20pm and I get the error described above. Then, after feeling annoyed and using Remote Desktop to make sure the connection is ok and the camera is still running (it always is), then I will check again later at 2pm and it will be working again. It has been happening a bunch lately. Could it have anything to do with server load? I don't really know much about such things, but I just noticed the "donate to help with server costs" button and it occurred to me that maybe that could be an issue?

It can be pretty frustrating, whatever the issue.

Thank you for your post.

If you could go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ from the computer running the iCamSource and send your external IP address to support@skjm.com so we can attempt to look it up in the Broker Server logs and hopefully troubleshoot the problem. Also, please reference this forum post and your user name in your email.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 12:51:07 AM »
Hello all,

New to the iCam app as well, and Im a huge fan.

I too have this problem- and can say Im having the same issue as brokendemo as well except I work night shift - so my primary time of use for the app is from 6pm - 8am,  and around 1am or 2am for the past two nights I lose connection with one camera.... the same camera both nights.

Now, currently (and temporarily) I am using my iMac + a Rocketfish HD Lite USB on my first level, and a macbook + a Rocketfish HD Lite USB on my second level. Same set up - the iMac and the RF work all night, but the macbook and Rocketfish do not.....

Here is the kicker - the ONLY CAMERA THAT GOES OUT - is the Rocketfish - the macbook iSight continues to work and stream video.
And like the rest, I get home the Rocketfish that lost connection is still running and appears to be working just fine.  With a quick stop and start on the iCamsource program, it reconnects.

Thank you for your post.

Have you tried deleting the RocketFish from the cameras list and re-adding it? You mentioned that you are able to still see a stream from the MacBook iSight, you are not receiving the No Sources Found error correct?

Please go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ from the computer running the iCamSource and send your external IP address to support@skjm.com so we can attempt to look it up in the Broker Server logs and hopefully troubleshoot the problem. Also, please reference this forum post and your user name in your email.

LabradorNYC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 06:12:56 AM »
on Mac...since upgrading to 2.4 on source, constant crashes. App quits probably 10 times a day so try the iphone app and no sources running...

just downgraded back to 2.2.3
connects to cams faster (4) and is more stable so far

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 09:40:46 AM »
on Mac...since upgrading to 2.4 on source, constant crashes. App quits probably 10 times a day so try the iphone app and no sources running...

just downgraded back to 2.2.3
connects to cams faster (4) and is more stable so far

LabradorNYC if you could e-mail any recent iCamSource crash logs to support@skjm.com we can hopefully determine the cause of the issue: http://serato.com/articles/scratchlive/6600/how-to-get-a-crash-log-in-mac-osx

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 10:25:30 PM »
LabradorNYC (and any other Mac user that is experiencing regular daily crashes of the iCamSource in Mac OS X 10.7.2 Lion) please try this development version (2.4.0.3) to see if your stability improves: http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource2.4.0.3.dmg

If version 2.4.0.3 still crashes, please send the crash logs to support@skjm.com and we will continue to troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks! :)

LabradorNYC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »
2.4.0.3 has been stable all day. Prior, 2.4 couldn't go 3 hours without a crash. So far, so good. And the speed is much more like prior versions

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 08:29:06 PM »
2.4.0.3 has been stable all day. Prior, 2.4 couldn't go 3 hours without a crash. So far, so good. And the speed is much more like prior versions

Thank you for the feedback. 2.4.0.3 includes a number of work-arounds for obscure memory-leak issues that were introduced with Lion that occur on only certain Mac systems. The issues may ultimately be fixed in a future version of Mac OS X, but for now we have to develop these work-arounds to keep our users up and running. :)