Author Topic: Question about using Firewire iSight camera on iMac with built in iSight  (Read 4687 times)

mlarkin

• View Profile
Hi, and thanks for the fantastic app and iPhone application.

Just to ask, I have a new iMac with of course a fixed iSight camera. Also have a firewire iSight camera.  When I plug in the firewire iSight camera, the iSight preferences lets me use it over the default built in iSight camera.  Nice in situations where you want the camera focus elsewhere than in front of you. But you app's drop-down menu does not give a choice if you want to use the firewire iSight cam, forcing you to use the built in cam.  Any fix for this?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Question about using Firewire iSight camera on iMac with built in iSight
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:54:55 AM »
mlarkin - You should be able to use the external iSight camera with the iCamSource without a problem.

If you restart the iCamSource, does it show up in the drop-down list? You can also try unplugging and replugging in the camera and restarting the iCamSource. And finally, if all else fails, you can try rebooting your computer.

mlarkin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:03:06 AM »
OK .... I worked it out.  If I had iChat running, it would not show the firewire iSight in the drop down menu.  As soon as I shut down iChat, I had a choice of cameras.  And this is great.

And thank you very much for such a fast response.  Your service is as good your software!

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:05:22 AM »
mlarkin - Thank you for the update and positive feedback! :)

Rob42378

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:03:22 PM »
Please forgive me for just sort of posting this out of nowhere, but I honestly couldn't figure out anywhere better to place it.  So, for lack of a better spot, I just wanted to say thank you so much for such a tremendous app!  Not only have I absolutely loved being able to keep an eye on my apartment - and dogs! - on my iPhone (and with my new MacBook!) while out, but I've recommended it to three other people now who tell me that they absolutely love it just about as much as I do!  I'm really looking forward to the anticipated sound aspect, too, as well as anything else you've got cooking up ;-)  And for the incredibly reasonable price at which you have the app for sale, I honestly wouldn't mind even "donating" a little more to you just to help you keep the good work up!  So by all means, keep up the good work, and please keep me up to date on all things iCam! 

Rob in San Antonio
www.robertclamb.com

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:10:11 PM »
Rob42378 - And thank YOU very much for your positive feedback as well! :)

michaelb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 08:19:06 AM »
I tried restarting ICamSoure, replugging in my firewire isight and rebooting... just can't seem to see the firewire isight in ICam as an option. I do have a built in Isight, but was hoping to use two cameras. Any other ideas of what I could try?

michaelb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 08:25:56 AM »
And just to be clear, I was hoping to have both internal and external iSights running (is that possible)?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 12:35:51 PM »
Is there any other application that is accessing the iSight at the same time, like iChat? Make sure that there are no other applications accessing the webcam before restarting the iCamSource.

And yes, you should be able to use both the "Built-In iSight" and an external "iSight" webcam in two iCamSources on the same computer. (I have been able to do this before.)