Author Topic: iCamSource Dual Core Performance  (Read 2193 times)

echiang

• View Profile
iCamSource Dual Core Performance
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:49:16 PM »
Greetings,

I had iCamSource connected to 3 webcams running on my iMac i5 QuadCore, so performance was not an issue. I have an old iBook G4 running some home automation software (Indigo). The iBook needs to be on all the time to run Indigo, so I installed iCamSource using only 1 webcam. It didn't work too well especially when I turned on motion detection. I really didn't expect it would.

Anyway, I am thinking of picking up a used dual core intel Mac - like a MacMini or Macbook - to replace the iBook. My question is how well will iCamSource work managing 3 webcams? Will Core 2 Duo vs. older Core Duo matter? I found someone locally selling an older, 1st gen core duo macbook pro and I am wondering if the core duo performance would be adequate.

Thanks, Ed.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: iCamSource Dual Core Performance
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:10:34 PM »
Are you connecting to 3 USB webcams or network IP cameras? With 3 USB webcams you may run into USB bus power limitations before you have issues with CPU usage.

I currently connect to 4 network IP cameras from a 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini without issue, but perhaps someone with a similar setup to yours (3 USB webcams) will have further insight. (Obviously a Core 2 Duo would do better than a Core Duo ... I would be interested in seeing if anyone was using it with a Core Duo and what the CPU usage was as well.)

echiang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »
Oops. I meant 3 Network IP cams.

Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning toward waiting for good deal on a used Mac with a Core 2 Duo instead of this 1st gen Macbook Pro.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:17:36 PM »
What are the make / model of the network cameras? Reducing the MJPEG frame rate sent by the camera can also greatly improve the CPU usage ... I have my cameras configured to output 2 fps since the fastest that the motion detection logic will capture images is twice a second. It really helps than the default 15 or 30 fps.

If you can easily change the frame rate, image size, and image quality you have a lot of things to play with to help keep the CPU usage down on older / less powerful hardware.

echiang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:19:13 AM »
I am using: Trendnet IP110W, Trendnet IP422W, and a LTS LTCIP830MV-B.

Good tip on reducing the frame rate and image parameters. I will give it a try.

I will likely replace the IP110W with a IP422W. So, please add my vote for pan/tilt in the next version of iCam  ;)

Thanks.