Author Topic: Remote activation of camera  (Read 5803 times)

lockness

• View Profile
Remote activation of camera
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:03:24 PM »
Is it possible now (or possible future functionality) to remotely start a camera linked to the icam application?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Remote activation of camera
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
Do you mean remotely start the iCamSource, or just remotely have it "engage" the webcam? (Not sure which functionality you are looking for ...)

mikewoodld

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:33:47 PM »
I would love to be able to have the camera turned off and only activated when motion is detected. It would also be nice to be able to wake the computer from sleep when motion is detected, though I don't know if this is truly possible or not.

OSX here.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »
Unfortunately motion can only be detected when the webcam and computer are both on and active. (If the camera or computer are not on then there is nothing to do the detection.) :)

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 04:30:16 PM »
Maybe it's time for SKJM to start producing hardware....IP cameras that not only have their own web server built in, but also the ability to send push notifications/stream video to iCam and detect motion (although, some already detect motion right?). haha That would be pretty awesome!

voodoo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:46:56 AM »
I too would like to be able to remotely 'start' the camera (I know motion detection wouldn't work with this). It would be nice to have iCamSource running, but only have the camera turn on when I log in from my iPhone, and then turn off when I log out.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

voodoo

fred

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 11:55:41 AM »
I use logmein ignition..I have my pc set up so I can wake on lan from my iphone anywhere then run logmein on the iphone so I can control my pc and click on the startcam batch file which runs my three sources when I have finished I shut pc down again remotely..

voodoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 12:03:37 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

I use iTeleport for my Mac, and can do the same, but it would be much nicer to be able to skip the extra login to enable the camera.

A setting in iCam could tell the camera to stay on (for motion detection), or turn off on exit.

voodoo

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 04:16:46 PM »
Yes, it is something that is possible, and is currently on our list of features to potentially implement in a future version.

voodoo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:22:50 PM »
Thanks for the update about a potential update!

When I can control the camera's on/off status directly from my iPhone, iCam will be way more useful for me.

voodoo

fred

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 12:31:15 AM »
What would be nice is the ability to send a magic packet from icam app on the iphone and be able to issue a shut down command also from the icam app to the source to shut down the computer..