Author Topic: osx with ipod touch not connecting on others networks  (Read 5513 times)

yournamehere004

• View Profile
osx with ipod touch not connecting on others networks
« on: June 19, 2010, 03:58:14 AM »
ok, so i have an imac core 2 duo running osx snow leo, and 3rd gen ipod touch.  the source and app are both installed and it works beautifully on my home network. but more times than not, when i try to connect through a different network, i get a source connection error, even with strong wi-fi signal.  i love this app and would really appreciate any help from whomever can throw some useful info my way.  please help!! :-[

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: osx with ipod touch not connecting on others networks
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 04:15:58 AM »
Based on my experience, it sounds like you need to set up port forwarding using your router. The details are discussed in a link at the top of the forum. Just make sure your computer is assigned a static IP address through the router, and make sure that you forward at least 6 (I think that's the minimum needed) UDP ports to your computer running the icamsource.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 05:58:42 AM »
OUAnthony is correct ... It sounds like the combination of your iCamSource network along with the remote network you are connecting from is too complex for the iCam auto-connection logic to navigate without forwarding a range of ports in your router.

Here is a link to the step-by-step iCamSource port forwarding instructions: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0

Alternatively, we currently have a new BETA version available that includes some router auto-configuration code that works with most routers that support UPnP or NAT-PMP.

It can be downloaded here:

Windows Version - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSetup1.4.2.6.exe
Mac Version - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource1.4.2.6.dmg

To use the router auto-configuration, check the Auto-Config Router checkbox in the iCamSource Preferences window before clicking the Start button. A status message will appear above the Auto-Config Router checkbox that should give you some sort of indication of whether or not the auto-configuration was successful.

If you see an error message, please make sure that either UPnP or NAT-PMP is enabled in your router's settings.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 09:39:27 PM by Stefan »

yournamehere004

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 05:21:59 AM »
thanks to both of you for the quick help.  i downloaded the beta version with the auto config and got "error: UPnP 0 : NAT-PMP 3, -7,61" message.  so, as suggested i tried to change the NAT/UPnP setting in my router....buuuuuuuut, my router is korean, which is where i currently reside.  the model is unicorn wb-3000n, which doesnt show up on the webpage with all the routers models from the other fourm.  i tried looking for the driver/settings and whatnot to download online, but if you google for my model number, all you get is a ton of korean pages; most of which are to purchase it.  anyhow, korea isnt very mac friendly and the although the router works perfectly without the software install, the software itself is in korean and if i remember correctly, didnt support mac to begin with (which is probably why i cant find it/maybe threw it away).  sooooo....long story short, i need some help with this.  is there a way i can get anything working through the mac's network settings under system preferences or something similar?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 06:42:04 AM »
This isn't a Mac issue...it's a networking issue. You need to access your router settings using your Internet Browser and set up port forwarding manually (this is assuming you already enabled uPnP or NAT-PMP in the router settings, but it did not work once you enabled the setting in icamsource). The general directions for setting up port forwarding can be found here:

http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0

yournamehere004

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:44:50 AM »
yeah, i understand that part, but as i said, i have no way to access the router settings.  i suppose the only thing i can do is get a new router?  i dont have the disc it came with and even if i did, the disc (for as much as i can remember) is windows only.  so unless im (hopefully) wrong, im pretty much screwed, right?  ive read everything on the boards about port forwarding, but i just cant get to the routers settings, because i dont know where they are.  im assuming thats what the (windows only) disc was for.  any other ideas?  thanks in advance.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »
You should be able to access the router's settings by typing the IP address of the router (also the IP address of your gateway when you're connected to the router) in the address bar of your Internet browser. I'm assuming that your username/password will be some default chosen by the company, as it doesn't sound like you've ever changed the settings. It would probably be a good idea to change default settings like those, as that is a pretty big potential security hole. If it's a wireless router, do a little research on making it more secure. Once you access the router's settings, it should be fairly easy to set up the port forwarding.

yournamehere004

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 11:27:30 PM »
man, thank you SO much.  i got to the settings and it took me a few tries, but i guessed the default login and password.  unfortunately, the settings are all in korean.  :: sigh ::  oh well, at least now i have SOME idea of what to do.  all i gotta do now is have a bilingual help me out and translate it for me.  still the same, thank you all for your help.  im sure it'll work out one way or another.  i'll report back when i have news.

yournamehere004

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
ok everyone im back again (sorry).  i was wondering if anyone could figure this out simply by looking at it....

the first 2 fields translate to outside/inside ports, 2nd is im assuming the last 3 digits to whatever ip address, and the "tcp" pulldown has the options of tcp, udp, or "mode" (whatever that is).  the last 2 check boxes are just "enable" and "disable".  sooooooo......any ideas of what should be going in these fields?  i was messing around and put 12000 in the first, 12100 in the second, and i changed tcp to udp.  but i didnt know what to put for the ip address so i tried all different kinds, like the last 3 of the computers ip, just 000, 001, 100 and a few others, but none of them worked.  still was getting the same error on the icamsource when i enable auto-config router....  (Error : UPnP 0 : NAT-PMP 3,-7,61)

Oh yeah....the bottom pulldown menu is some kind of service port with the following options:
DNS (53), FTP (21), GOPHER (70), HTTP (80), NNTP (119), POP3 (110), PPTP(1723), SMTP (25), SOCK (1080), TELNET (23).  the last pulldown menu (ID) just goes from 1 to 10.

I have absolutely NO idea what any of that means.  the bottom 2 buttons are just apply and cancel.  :: sigh ::  help...me...please....

thanks in advance to everyone.  very friendly and helpful forum.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:52:14 PM by yournamehere004 »

yournamehere004

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 12:15:33 AM »
ARGHH!!  apparently there were 2 identical pages for port forwarding....one was for "single unit port forwarding" and the other was for "range port forwarding" (loosely translated) .....but the pages looked exactly the same!!!  anyways, i set them up identical to what i said before and it still didnt work so then i set up only the range one and it still didnt work.  ive been going to

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

to check if my ports were open, but to no avail.  i really need a voice chat buddy to help me out with all this...

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 01:59:12 AM »
The ending numbers for the IP address need to be the IP address of the computer that is running icamsource. You need to make sure that you assign that computer a static IP address using the network settings. Also, you need to forward a range of at least 6 UDP ports to that computer...like 12000 - 12005. Did you make sure and enable port forwarding in icamsource after changing the router settings appropriately? It sounds like you entered everything correctly in the router settings, except possibly the computer IP address.

If you've done all of this and it still isn't working, then you are most likely running firewall software (could even be the Windows firewall) that is blocking the communication between your icamsource and iPhone. So disable all firewall software and then check your port status again. There is a free port checker called pfportchecker from portforward.com...you might try to use it.

http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

yournamehere004

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 02:28:25 AM »
anthony....my savior!!!  (i think).  i dont know why, but im still getting the error from icam source, so i assumed that i was getting something wrong, and the port forwarding check site i was going to was still saying that my ports were closed, so i got the software (which was windows only btw) and had to emulate it to make it work on mac......but in any case, it said that ports 12000-12005 were open!!! i couldnt believe it!!  so i went outside and leeched off a neighbors connection and it worked!!!!  went down the street to a location that it never worked at...and it worked!!!!  you have no idea how happy i am!!

on a side note, im still not sure what that whole DNS(53) thing is and as far as assigning a static ip to the computer, i have no idea how to do that in the network settings of a mac.

but for now, im really happy!!  thanks again to everyone whos helped this port-forwarding noob.  you all scored some karma points  ;)

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 02:24:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm not a Mac guy...so I can't help you on assigning a static IP address to a Mac. If you google "how to assign a static IP address in OSX," you should find plenty of help on that. Glad you got it working though!