Author Topic: icam can only run on wifi spots but not on 3G anywhere  (Read 3539 times)

taoshi1980

• View Profile
icam can only run on wifi spots but not on 3G anywhere
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:39:43 AM »
Hi,
icam is running fine on wifi networks across cities, but not at all on wireless 3g network.
While other apps runs fine on 3g, only icam is a no no.
The source connection error message pops up always, and no cameras would show up.
The source connection error happens on wifi too, only the cameras would show up fine even with some error messages.
What kind of adjustment should i try to solve this?
Thank you

activemind

• View Profile
Re: icam can only run on wifi spots but not on 3G anywhere
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »
I hope they fix this because it would be useless if you're on the road and wants to be able to monitor your house/business etc.  I find the push notification is great and I'm not sure whether that would work on 3G either.

taoshi1980

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 06:22:57 PM »
I hope they fix this because it would be useless if you're on the road and wants to be able to monitor your house/business etc.  I find the push notification is great and I'm not sure whether that would work on 3G either.
Funny thing is push notification would work, in case of motion detected and i will get alert on 3G, only i can't open any cameras to see what's going on.
So on Wifi, starbucks, mom's house, or my home, everything works.
On 3G, only receiving motion alert, but can't see any cameras nor recorded motion event.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 07:02:09 PM »
You guys are likely having issues with port forwarding...you need to enable uPNP on your router and check the "auto config router" box in icamsource. When you restart icamsource, you should see a message that says uPNP success or something like that. If your router has issues implementing the uPNP commands correctly, you might have to set up manual port forwarding. Personally, I use manual port forwarding because it's somewhat more secure and because it has proven to be extremely stable. It's definitely a pain to set up though...gotta assign your cameras and icamsource computer(s) a static IP address on your local network, then set up UDP port forwarding from the icamsource computer(s) to the Internet (7 ports per camera, I think). If you have more than one icamsource computer, you need to forward different port ranges to each computer. Like I said though, once you get it set up, it is rock solid...worth the effort to me.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »
OUAnthony is correct. Have you guys tried checking the Auto-Config Router checkbox in the iCamSource before clicking the Start button? If that doesn't work, what status message appears next to the Auto-Config Router checkbox when you run iCamSource with that option enabled.

Our new iCam Help Troubleshooting section also contains some additional information about what to try when you are unable to connect from outside of your local WiFi network: http://skjm.com/icam/help/troubleshooting.php#icam3

taoshi1980

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 12:43:12 AM »
You guys are likely having issues with port forwarding...you need to enable uPNP on your router and check the "auto config router" box in icamsource. When you restart icamsource, you should see a message that says uPNP success or something like that. If your router has issues implementing the uPNP commands correctly, you might have to set up manual port forwarding. Personally, I use manual port forwarding because it's somewhat more secure and because it has proven to be extremely stable. It's definitely a pain to set up though...gotta assign your cameras and icamsource computer(s) a static IP address on your local network, then set up UDP port forwarding from the icamsource computer(s) to the Internet (7 ports per camera, I think). If you have more than one icamsource computer, you need to forward different port ranges to each computer. Like I said though, once you get it set up, it is rock solid...worth the effort to me.
i see, i do see a message on icamsource preferences window saying "UPnP may not be enabled"
That's probably why.
if manual port forwarding tis more secure, that's my way to go.
the post to read is here right? http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0

taoshi1980

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 12:58:01 AM »
Thank you, after set up port forwarding icam is now working on 3G, signal strength is slower but most definitely working now :D