Author Topic: Can I view my laptop cam with iCam and my iPod  (Read 18849 times)

WalkingHeart

• View Profile
Can I view my laptop cam with iCam and my iPod
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:22:46 PM »
I've looked through what seems like endless amounts of questions and I can't seem to find one that asks if iCam works with a laptop cam..I live in a Nursing Home and I've had some things stole, So what I want to do is use my laptops (pc) camera to watch my room when I'm out of it on my iPod..Is there a way to do this with iCam..I don't want to spend the money on the app(s) if it won't work..and, As far as the 'on' light goes, I thought I could put a piece of tape across it?? TIA for any help you can give an old man ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:26:32 PM by WalkingHeart »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can I view my laptop cam with iCam and my iPod
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:58:46 PM »
Yes, iCam will work with your laptop's webcam.

WalkingHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:34:18 PM »
now that I know it will work with it, can you guide me in the direction of how to do it..and thank you so much for your reply..TIA, WH

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:06:31 AM »
The "Getting Started" section of the iCam Help pages provides step-by-step instructions for setting up both iCam on your iOS device and the iCamSource on your laptop: http://skjm.com/icam/help/

WalkingHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
i read over the start page and couldn't find anywhere where it showed you how to configure a laptop..any more help you can give me?? I am a complete newbie to this stuff..

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 08:52:56 PM »
The Setup section that describes setting up the iCamSource application on your computer is what you want: http://skjm.com/icam/help/#setup

(Your laptop is the computer in this scenario.)

Have you downloaded and installed the iCamSource application on your laptop?

WalkingHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 09:02:14 AM »
Stefan, i've tried everything short of buying the app from itunes store..ive done everything step by step, went through the troubleshooting area, nothing seems to work..here's what i did..installed icam source for windows..went to prefrences, set it to USB/firewire/built-in/ and my webcam Still doesn't show up..i don't know what to do here guys..i'm pulling what little bit of hair i have out on this one:) any other suggestions, anybody??.. Thanks so much in advance..

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »
If your webcam doesn't show up in the Video drop-down I would:

- Make sure that no other application is using the webcam when you launch the iCamSource.
- Make sure you have the latest webcam drivers installed.
- Try rebooting your computer and then re-launching the iCamSource to see if it shows up then.

Does your webcam work with other applications on your computer?

This is a webcam that is built-in above the laptop's display, is that correct?

WalkingHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »
Sorry it took so long to get back to you Stefan..I've been a little under the weather..to answer your question, there's no other applications (webcam) running when I try iCamSource..and yes my webcam is built in to the laptops lid..I'm not an expert with computers but I do know a bit about them, although I will say this is my first laptop with a webcam..any other help you can give is much appreciated..

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 05:14:39 PM »
Are there any other webcam applications that you have used successfully with your webcam?

WalkingHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 08:16:57 AM »
thanks for getting back to me so soon..yes another program would show it called webcam XP5 but I can't find the right application in iTunes..I found the program looking for programs that would do what I want, well when I installed it I couldn't get the webcam to show in it either..then one day I went back to it, figured out how to make the webcam show, and dang if I didn't forget where I found the instructions to do it where..I thought I had bookmarked it but obviously not.. so, any suggestions?? and thanks Stefan for sticking with me..

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 12:06:32 PM »
I am not sure what would make a webcam start working after it had stopped working besides perhaps updating the driver. What is the make and model of your specific laptop? The laptop manufacturer should have the latest webcam driver available for download.

WalkingHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 01:21:23 PM »
It's a Toshiba Satellite L505..I'm going to see what I can do to see if the driver is up to date..not sure how yet but..Thank you again for hangin' with me..

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
I would check the Toshiba website for support for your specific laptop. They should have download links for all of the latest drivers for the laptop's hardware: http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops

Here is a link to their support page: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

Perhaps clicking the Download link along the top and choosing your specific model.

WalkingHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 10:33:23 AM »
been a long time Stefan, hope you didn't give totally give up on me..I got some bad news from one doctor, (bladder cancer) and haven't felt like messing with my camera to be totally honest with ya..BUT..I'm back on track now and actually have the camera up and running (thanks to updating my webcam driver) where iCamSource is picking it up, but i can't figure out why its not showing up on my app I got from iTunes..I typed everything in correctly and it still won't show up on iCam..if you see this, help me if you can.I promise it won't take me so long to reply(: