Author Topic: I want a way to activate the camera remotely  (Read 2872 times)

clocknova

• View Profile
I want a way to activate the camera remotely
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:19:53 PM »
I have iCamSource running on my media center Mac Mini at home, and like to keep it running when I am out of town.  However, we sometimes have people stay at our home when we are away and I do not want the camera activated when they are there, only when the house is empty.  Is there some way to remotely activate iCamSource from another computer or mobile device?  I essentially just need some way to hit "start" and "stop" remotely, either through an officially supported method, or through a script or something that can be activated via another app.  I do have the Screens app on my iPhone, which allows me to view and control the computer remotely, but activating the camera that way is slow, difficult, and very frustrating, especially when my cell signal is weak.  Is there an easier way?

superpeter

• View Profile
Re: I want a way to activate the camera remotely
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 01:55:25 AM »
EXACTLY my question too. I tried an iOS App called ACTIONS (getactionsapp[dot]com) but this is far too complex and only available for iPad. Perhaps this is something you want to look into?

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 04:37:40 AM »
I know nothing of Macs, I only have Windows based PC's. In the Windows world, Pro versions of PC's can do Remote Desktop from other computers and smartphones. I have one setup at home. Remote Desktop is enabled, port 3389 is forwarded on the router and I have a host domain setup. I can access that computer from almost anywhere. If the power glitches, I can remote in and login. Icamsource is set to start up after login.

Do Mac's have a remote desktop type feaature?

superpeter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 05:04:31 AM »
"We" also have something like Remote Desktop as a VNC Service: Screen Sharing via Back to my Mac for example. But then I have to start a VNC Client on my device, open the preferences of iCamSource and the press Start/Stop. What I want is to press ONE button somewhere and a script starts without VNCing into my Mac Mini. What I did is to create an Apple Script opening and closing the App on my Mac. But again, I have to VNC into my mac mini remotely.

superpeter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:55:47 AM »
OK, found a solution now that works for me:

I created an Apple Script (run only) which only starts iCamSource when its not running or closes it when it runs. In iCamSource preferences I set it to autostart.

This Apple Script is stored in my Applications folder.

I enabled SSH Service on my Mac Mini (actually it was enabled in Lion).

I purchased an SSH client for my iPhone with MACRO capabilities. (-> SSH mobile. The only App I found with Macros...)

I created a macro with this command: open -a toggleicam in which toggleicam is the name of the script.

So now I am able to get my iPhone out of my pocket, launch SSH client and choose this macro.

This is my work around for it now... hopes that helps.