Author Topic: Trouble Setting up Ports for live feed  (Read 3627 times)

kevbeutel

• View Profile
Trouble Setting up Ports for live feed
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:23:48 PM »
My icam app works great over wifi but i can't seem to get it to work with the 3g or Edge.  Started to try and setup the port mapping as directed in one of the walk throughs.  Added the line to the terminal and closed and restarted the app and selected the port forwarding option.  Went to the link with port mapping information for different routers.  Didn't see Time Capsule on the list but assume that its the same setup as the Airport Extreme Base Station.  I'm new to port mapping and wanted to know what exactly needs to be typed into the settings.  I'm in airport utility, under the tab advanced, subtab port mapping.  Created the new port name and then the window pops up with a box where the first option is a drop down menu of options (personal file sharing, windows sharing, personal web sharing, remote login ssh, fttp access, apple remote desktop, etc).  Along with which option to select what numbers are inserted in the.  In this window there are options to insert the public and private UDP ports as well as the public and private TCP ports.  I think that nothing is entered for the TCP ports but what is entered for the UDP.  12000 for both the UDP private and public, or any number between 12000-12100 for both or the entire range 12000-12100 on both the public and private?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble Setting up Ports for live feed
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 05:45:58 PM »
You should be able to enter "12000-12100" in both the public and the private fields.

kevbeutel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 12:43:16 AM »
It took a little longer than expected but after finding this link it was a breeze..... Anyone else with a Time Capsule running Snow Leopard 10.6 who might be having trouble, here's good link

Port Forwarding    on             TIME CAPSULE 7.4.2 firmware

http://www.salon.com/tech/giga_om/mac_love/2009/05/05/how_to_port_forwarding_on_a_airport_extreme_time_capsule/index.html?source=rss&aim=/tech/giga_om/mac_love

Victory was short lived.......(ten minutes later). Back to where I started, I was able to connect once with both an ipod touch (over another wifi signal from my other router with seperate isp) and an iphone at the same time over 3g and Edge.  I disconnected with both and and tried to log back in a minute later with the iphone and it picked it up for a second or two and then dropped the connection over 3G.  Thinking it might be the signal i switched on to the other wifi nothing.  Tried another computer with a different isp a couple of feet away nothing.  As I sit writing this little snitch is notifying me that the icam wants to connect on the source computer............ I allow.........hit the home button on my iphone, turn it on and waalllaa picture for one, two, three, four seconds dropped.  For some reason not matter what type of signal wifi or 3G or Edge or on anther computer over the site (  http://skjm.com/icam/web/  ) the picture continues to get dropped from all sources with all signal types with the error message SOURCE CONNECTION ERROR.  Can connect as long as the computer source and the iphone or ipod are on the same wifi network but that's it.  Checked the port range (with transmission) that I set up and they are fine.  The capsule is plugged into a Scientific Atlantic cable modem that funtions soley as a modem. 

What to do now?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:53:14 AM by kevbeutel »

kevbeutel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 02:26:22 PM »
Still having the same connectivity problems as before.  For some reason I am able to receive push notifications that there has been movement in front of the camera but when I open the app and try to connect once again source connection Error.  I would really appreciate some help guys.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »
Please try quitting Little Snitch (temporarily) to see if iCam starts working.  If it does, we can configure Little Snitch to work with iCam.

If you have created the port forwarding rule in the router, I would like to try and confirm that your port forwarding is functioning as we expect it to. If you visit this link ...

http://portchecker.net/udp.php?p=12001

... it will open a webpage that contains a Java Applet in it (similar to iCamWeb) that will be able to listen on port 12000 for a UDP packet to be sent from a server on the Internet to your computer. If your port forwarding is functioning correctly then you should see a message saying that the port is open. If it is not functioning correctly, it should say that it is blocked. 

I know you already tested with Transmission, but I'm not sure exactly what logic Transmission uses.   

kevbeutel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 04:36:55 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me.  I have turned little snitch off and checked the port through the provided link and it says that is indeed "blocked."  Although it still reads "open" in transmission, but I'm guessing that's a not an effective way to check port status. Whats next?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 08:11:37 PM »
Please email screenshots of your router's port forwarding settings to support@skjm.com.

Also, email your computer's external IP address so I can verify the port forwarding settings.  To get it, go to http://whatismyip.com in your computer's web browser.

Please refer to this forum thread in your email.

kevbeutel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 12:17:50 PM »
Despite having the ports read as "Blocked" on the link  (   http://portchecker.net/udp.php?p=12001   )  the ports are functioning properly now (and still read open in Transmission) and I am able to receive the video feed via wifi, 3G, or Edge. :)   Didn't change anything, but for some reason it works now.  Got it  to work smoothly last night and checked it again this morning and still works great with or without the push notifications.  THANKS for the help and a GREAT APP!

Anyone else having trouble setting it up, stick with it, WELL WORTH THE TIME.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 03:36:34 PM »
I'm glad it's working for you :)

If the problem returns, please send an email with your computer's external IP address to support@skjm.com.  To get your computer's external IP address, go to http://whatismyip.com in your computer's web browser.

mrz500

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:25:09 PM »
I am having the same issue but need to setup rules for little snitch.  I turn it off and everything works great so I know little snitch is blocking.  it pops up and asks for verification to that port but they seem to range from 12000 - 31000 to 42000
thanks
Mrz