Author Topic: starting Icam when PC boots?  (Read 4112 times)

Spinerep622

• View Profile
starting Icam when PC boots?
« on: April 27, 2010, 09:06:11 PM »
OK, I have read a few threads about getting iCam to start when the PC does. Can someone talk me through this procedure. I feel as though I'm fairly computer literate, but have never written batch files or anything. Thanks in advance!

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: starting Icam when PC boots?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:34:04 PM »
Are you wanting to start it as a service so it starts immediately when the computer is turned on (but with nobody logged in), or as a normal startup program that loads when someone logs into the computer? One downside to the service is that you can't access the icamsource on the computer (without executing the icamsource on your own through the Start Menu) because it won't show up in the system tray...but that's also a positive thing if you don't want it obvious to everyone that it's running.

captual

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:58:43 PM »
OK, I have read a few threads about getting iCam to start when the PC does. Can someone talk me through this procedure. I feel as though I'm fairly computer literate, but have never written batch files or anything. Thanks in advance!

I have the same question. I did not understand the answer from above. I want the icam to start, run and start sending the pics as soon as Windows boots up?

Spinerep622

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:58:28 AM »
Are you wanting to start it as a service so it starts immediately when the computer is turned on (but with nobody logged in), or as a normal startup program that loads when someone logs into the computer? One downside to the service is that you can't access the icamsource on the computer (without executing the icamsource on your own through the Start Menu) because it won't show up in the system tray...but that's also a positive thing if you don't want it obvious to everyone that it's running.

I want to be able to turn on my laptop, let it boot up and have icam running as a normal startup program. I'm the only user of this PC so I dont get a log on screen.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:04:06 AM »
If you are just running one instance of the iCamSource you can copy the iCamSource shortcut to your Startup folder in your Start Menu.

You can either drag-and-drop it into your Startup folder in the Start Menu, or into the startup folder path that can be found here:

Windows 7 and Vista

c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Windows XP

c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

That will launch the iCamSource when Windows starts. If you then also check the AutoStart checkbox in the iCamSource, the iCamSource will connect to your webcam and start waiting for incoming connections as soon as it is launched.

Spinerep622

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:34:26 AM »
Awesome, works like a charm!! THANKS!!

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 12:40:59 AM »
Captual,

Some computers have multiple users. Imagine parents setting up icamsource on the family computer. When the kids get on there, if they realize what icamsource is (which they will see the icon in the system tray by the clock), they will close the program. What self-respecting teenager wants to be monitored while the folks are away? :) Anyway, there's a way that you can run icamsource as a service, instead of as a startup program. This means that icamsource will run in the background (no icon in the system tray) immediately as soon as the computer is powered up...even though nobody has logged in to Windows with their username/password. That's not to say the service method of execution is perfect...but it's harder for someone else to find out it's running and therefore disable it.