Author Topic: airlink 101 500w to Icamsource connection  (Read 6920 times)

MasterZ

• View Profile
airlink 101 500w to Icamsource connection
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:34:37 PM »
Just picked up a pair of Airlink 101 500w  cams...installed the software they came with , updated the firmware and have them working either direct connected to the routre or wireless without any issues while using their supplied software.

now I want to get it connected with Icamsource/Icam so I can monitor it thru my Iphone. For some reason the camsource is not detecting either cam. I clicked on help and used the recommended IP links and didnt have any luck with them either...

anyone wanna give me some tips on how to get this setup, or a link to some directions.

Thanks in advance..

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: airlink 101 500w to Icamsource connection
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:20:59 PM »
You used the correct IP address for each camera when trying to add it as a source? Is the video in your cameras password-protected? If so, are you inputing the username/password in icamsource?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 11:00:58 AM »
Have you tried the MJPEG / JPEG URL prober page? - http://skjm.com/icam/mjpeg_test.php

MasterZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:43:42 PM »
Have you tried the MJPEG / JPEG URL prober page? - http://skjm.com/icam/mjpeg_test.php

did this and came up with a bunch of boxes with the "red x" nothing came up..

I entered the correct IP but not sure of the port...

MasterZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:44:36 PM »
You used the correct IP address for each camera when trying to add it as a source? Is the video in your cameras password-protected? If so, are you inputing the username/password in icamsource?

yes used the correct IP. They are pw protected and I entered that in camsource.

MasterZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
ok, after I am reading a few other post I am not sure how all this is suppose to work and it is confusing..please excuse my ignorance but I would really like to get this hooked up to help me monitor my home while I am away. Especially having teenagers in/out of the house when the parents arent there..Just knowing it is there will keep them honest.

here is what all I have..

Linksys wireless router
2 airlink 500w IP cams
2 toshiba laptops
Iphone ( newest one)

starting out I had seen the news about the guy in Dallas catching the guys breaking in so this sparked my interest. I downloaded the app. Installed it on one of my laptops and used the built in cam to test it. Everything worked fine. It streamed from my laptop to my Iphone like it should. So then I purchased the 2 airlink cams hoping to get it setup..

Here is where I am getting confused, I was under the impression the cams would connect directionly to the router and stream it to my Iphone. But now I think I am reading that I will have to have Icamsource running on a comptuer which will transmit the stream to my Iphone. So will this work with a Laptop setup all setup wirelessly?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:28:41 PM »
Yes, it will work wirelessly. First you have to make sure that both your cameras, and your laptop (you only need one computer running icamsource), are actually connected to the wireless network. Obviously your laptop is already connected properly, as you are able to get on the Internet. For the cameras, make sure that they are not wired to the router, and type in their respective IP addresses into the address bar in IE or Firefox. If you are unable to connect to the cameras, that means they are not properly configured. If you use WPA2 as your wireless encryption, make sure your passphrase does not contain any non-alphanumeric characters (such as %, #, etc)...there is a known issue with the Airlink in that regard.

After you're sure everything is connected successfully to the wireless network, you need to add the IP cameras as sources in icamsource. Include the respective username/password for each camera as you add them to icamsource. Do not confuse these usernames/passwords with your iCam username/password (which you will use in icamsource and in the iCam app). In icamsource, make sure that you enable automatic port configuration.

In your router, you need to make sure that uPNP is enabled. If your router doesn't support uPNP (it would be years old), then you will have to set up manual port forwarding. In some cases, routers don't handle uPNP commands correctly...so you might still have to set up manual port forwarding if you can't get things working. Here are some things that you will need to do if manual port forwarding is required:

1) Assign a static IP address to your cameras (do this within the camera's settings webpage)
2) Assign a static IP address to your laptop(s) that has icamsource running (do this within the network settings)
3) Assign port forwarding rules within the router settings webpage. Make sure to forward at least 6 ports for each video source. So for example, if you have 2 IP cameras and a webcam on the laptop, you would need to forward at least 18 ports to the static IP address of your laptop computer that is running icamsource. The recommended starting port is 12000, and needs to be UDP (not TCP). To be clear, you are forwarding the same range of ports from your router to your laptop.
4) Exit icamsource (if open) and save the following file to your desktop and then double-click on it. It will import settings in your registry that will cause icamsource to display a checkbox for manual port forwarding. Once you have imported the settings into your registry, re-run icamsource. Now you will see a manual port forwarding box. Disable automatic port configuration (if checked) and enable manual port forwarding, using the same starting and ending ports as you used in step 3 above. Save the settings and restart the router. You might as well reboot everything else just to make sure they are all using the correct settings.

http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSourcePortForwarding.reg

5) If you are still unable to connect or your connection is not consistent, ensure that your wireless signal is ok for all devices (laptop and cameras). Then download/run pfportchecker.exe, which is recommended by the SKJM guys. Use this to test the ports that you attempted to manually forward to your laptop. You should be running this program on the same computer that is running icamsource. Ensure that ports are seen as open. If they aren't, that means you entered something incorrectly or in the wrong place. This whole process is tedious...can't have any mistakes or typos. But there is a benefit to it...your system will be as consistent as your home's Internet connection.
6) Make sure that the kids don't have access to the laptop running icamsource, and make sure that it won't go to sleep or hibernate, and make sure that it is plugged in. If the kids do need access to the laptop, it is possible to run icamsource as a service...and you can even rename it to something much less obvious. You can also backup captured images offsite with Dropbox, in case your laptop is stolen. These are advanced options that are not part of icamsource...but really solidify iCam as a more secure security system.

MasterZ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »
seems kinda complicated... ok here is what I have so far...
the camera's are working fine... I type in the IP address and it pulls up fine both on the one I have wireless to the router and the other one connected via network cable to the router. ( note it works wireless too just where I have it mounted I connected it via the cable.
In my router control panel I dont see anything about the uPNP, where would I look for this setting? The router I am using isnt old it is a Linksys model # WRT310N
I am not real familiar with setting up the static IP's and would prefer to avoid that if possible cause I use the router for quite a bit of connections... Here is currently what is connected thru it...not all at the same time thou..

Wireless devices accessing router

3 laptops
wireless printer shared by said laptops
Nintendo Wii
I-pod Touch
2 I-phones

MasterZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 08:39:17 PM »
for some reason when I am typing a long post on here the text box starts jumping around is anyone else having that problem??  anyways back to continuing my post from above

connected via network cable I have a
Playstation 3

So going to static IP's I would have to setup all my other devices like this as well??? cause there are a few other things the kids use from time to time...like playstation protable and the Nintendo Ds, etc..

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 09:42:04 PM »
I have the same issue with the textbox on here. Once you fill the box up and make it scroll, it does weird things.

Anyway, I believe you can assign static IP addresses to your laptop and cameras that are outside of the IP range that your router uses DHCP for. So lets say your current router settings involve the DHCP assigning IP addresses from 192.168.10.100 to 192.168.10.200. I believe you can assign static IP addresses that do not fall within the DHCP range. Using the range from above as an example, you could assign one of your cameras to be 192.168.10.80 (which isn't between 100 and 200), and another camera to be 192.168.10.81, and your laptop to be 192.168.10.82. The other devices you could leave alone to automatically receive an IP address from the router (which is via DHCP...using the 100-200 range). Does that make sense?

As far as the uPNP setting, if you google "<insert router model here> and uPNP setting", you will probably find directions on how to enable it. Google is awesome like that. :) Let us know if you run into any other issues.

Oh, and by the way, are you running a firewall program on your laptop that is running icamsource? Were you ever able to add the cameras as a video source to icamsource? You should at least be able to add the cameras to icamsource to verify that they work correctly.

MasterZ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 10:13:45 PM »
still not having any luck with Icamsource linking up with my cams...

I do think my uPNP is working cause when I click start down at the bottom it says uPNP Sucess 12000 -> 12000

it is telling me that  it cannot find jpeg data, my network IP camera maynot be supported..I am using the Airlink camera yall recommended.. ???
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:16:05 PM by MasterZ »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 10:40:04 PM »
Is there a camera setting that determines the format of the video output? It needs to be mjpeg. Have you tried changing the settings so that a login (username and password) is not required in order to view the video? If it's possible, do that until you figure out the correct link. Then you can re-enable the username/password after you figure out the link for the video...and enter the camera's username/password in icamsource.

I didn't see if you answered my question from earlier. Do you have firewall software running on your computer? Is it possible that it's blocking icamsource from accessing the network?

If you still can't get it up and running, send me a PM if you want some help.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 11:38:09 AM »
What is the URL you use in your web browser to connect to your AirLink cameras on your local network? It should be something like http://192.168.1.240