Author Topic: Does icam use my internet bandwidth whilst running?  (Read 3659 times)

idb

• View Profile
Does icam use my internet bandwidth whilst running?
« on: December 31, 2010, 03:49:31 AM »
If Icam is running on my imac but i'm not using my iphone to view the images - does the icam program on the mac use any bandwidth and any of my monthly data allowance?

Thank you

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Does icam use my internet bandwidth whilst running?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 04:44:03 AM »
Icamsource (running on your computer) uses a relatively small amount of bandwidth from your Internet provider (not your cell provider). As far as your phone is concerned, iCam only uses bandwidth from your cell provider when you are running the iCam app.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Does icam use my internet bandwidth whilst running?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 10:58:25 AM »
OUAnthony is correct.  Here's some more details on the bandwidth usage:

When an iCamSource is idle it is sending a small amount of data (about 100 bytes per cameras) every 5 seconds or so to the iCam Broker Server to let it know it is still there. That equates to about 61 MB of data uploaded per month for each camera from your computer if it is just sitting there 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When an iPhone is connected, then naturally the image data being uploaded to the phone will be added to the total.  Push notifications can also add to slightly to the total bandwidth.