Author Topic: Multiple USB Cameras on ICamsource mac  (Read 2903 times)

wyre

• View Profile
Multiple USB Cameras on ICamsource mac
« on: March 29, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »
Is there a way to use multiple usb cameras with icamsource for mac? I can get one to work but not two although both show up in the dropdown list. Whichever one I choose first will work however I have not figured out how to get both to work. I bought 3 cheap usb cameras for this. Anyone know how to make this work?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple USB Cameras on ICamsource mac
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:30:55 PM »
We've heard reports of problems of certain Mac models that prevent multiple USB cameras working simultaneously due to an issue with the USB bus. It isn't a problem with iCamSource in particular, because the problem occurs with other programs as well.

You can find out if this is the problem you are experiencing by trying to open two of the cameras in different programs simultaneously (such as iChat or Photobooth).  For example, open one camera in Photobooth and then try to open a different camera in iChat.

rpd2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »
This sounds like what is happening to me.. is there a fix for this?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 12:29:16 PM »
It is an issue with certain Mac computers. Since it is not an issue with iCamSource unfortunately, it is not something we can provide a fix for.

tw98

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 09:16:35 PM »
My equipment is an iMac running OS 10.6.8. I've got iSight cam built-in and also connected a miscellaneous USB cam I had lying around (a cheap piece of junk I bought at an office supply store in Shanghai a few years ago...supposedly not Mac compatible). I also installed an application called Macam that is supposed to supply the drivers for various USB cams so they will work on macs.

Problem: I could not run my USB cam and the built-in iSight cam at the same time on iCamSource. Tried many different times, methods, orders of setting up, restarted the computer, shook my head vigorously, plugged into different USB outlets, etc., but as the other poster said, no matter what, only one cam would work at a time.

Weird solution: I read somewhere that running two instances of iCamSource at the same time on the same computer would be a possible workaround for this problem. I tried this out. Went to the application folder and duplicated the iCamSource application. Renamed it "iCamSource 2" (yes, I am a branding genius). I then opened both iCamSource and iCamSource 2. I then set up the iSight cam on iCamSource, and the USB cam on iCamSource 2. Worked perfectly. Both cameras could now be seen at the same time on iCam on my iphone and on my iPad.

What happened next?: For some reason, I then decided to give the correct method one more try, i.e. i started up on single instance of the iCamSource application. I added the iSight cam. Worked fine. I then added the USB cam to this same application. It also worked fine. Low and behold, both cams would now run simultaneously on one instance of iCamSource!

So, did I shake something loose with my weird solution? Accidentally install some dual USB driver thingy? Did my house get struck by lightning at that exact moment? Or is this just random luck? Who knows?! It works perfectly now!