Author Topic: Ghost iCam video window pops up, left over after LogMeIn terminates MediaCenter  (Read 3542 times)

JazJon

• View Profile
Is there anything you can do about the following?   Here's how to re-create it.

Windows 7 x64, USB Webcam (Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision)

Have http://logmein.com installed on the media center.  (the free version works great)

When I remote log into my computer, sometimes I have MediaCenter still running as my HTPC is used to watch TV in the livingroom. (and iCam)

Durring the remote login connection, if MediaCenter is up and running, it will automatically close to prevent problems, and allowing me to see the desktop.   After MediaCenter closes, the following iCam video (ghost/partial) box pops up in the upper left!   You then also see TWO iCam icons in the system tray.   The ghost video box doesnt go away until I close iCam.

http://i41.tinypic.com/15g6lqo.jpg

Can you figure out what causes this and have it suppressed?   

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, there's a lot of things that could be causing this behavior.  iCamSource uses Microsoft Directshow for webcam video capture, so I'm guessing Windows Media Center has some interaction with Directshow that's causing this.  Other things that could be involved are webcam drivers, video card drivers. 

Please make sure that Windows is fully updated through Windows Update, that your webcam drivers are up to date, and that your video card drivers are up to date.

There shouldn't be two iCamSources running, unless you launched them explicitly.  Sometimes icons are shown in the System Tray even when programs aren't running.  If you see two icons again, check the process list in Task Manager to see if there really are two iCamSource processes.

JazJon

• View Profile
Thanks, yes everything is up to date.  (I'm an IT Engineer)

This behavior has happened in the past on a previous computer.   This new HP Pavilion Slimline with NVidia card acts the same.

I recently did a vanilla clean install of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate to clear out some other non related problem.

The ghost box still appears.

It must have something to do with Media Center as you said. (and the way Media Center is abruptly terminated)

Any other ideas?

CorruptedBuffer

• View Profile
This isn't only a problem with Media Center.  Any time I play a game, then exit it and go back to the desktop, I get the orphaned video window as described here.  I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  This really needs to be fixed.  This, coupled with the lack of an obvious way to hide the fact that this software is running, makes this app unusable for my purposes.

I'll be glad to help debug this, but I have to know what to look for.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CorruptedBuffer - Are your webcam drivers and video card drivers updated to the latest version?  Is your Windows fully updated through Windows Update?

When you mention hiding the fact that the software is running, what do you mean?  If your camera has a light that turns on when it's activated, that will be on.  There will also be a small icon in the System Tray.  Those should be the only things indicating that it's running.  Are you referring to something else (other than the orphan window)?

CorruptedBuffer

• View Profile
Yes, everything is up to date.

Clicking the "X" seems to work (make the window go away like I want it to) if I only have one cam running.  If I have 2 cams up, and try to "X" out of one of them, it presents a frozen image on my iphone.
I just saw a post about using a bat file to bring up multiple cams; let me try that and see if that resolves some of my problems.
Thanks.

CorruptedBuffer

• View Profile
I'm beginning to think the problem is one of my webcams, a Microsoft Lifecam Cinema.  My other cam (MS VX-5000) seems to work ok.
Let me poke around some more, and if it turns out I still have a problem, I'll post a more suitable message instead of hijacking this thread.