Author Topic: Audio from Network Cam, or possibly Audio/Video from different sources  (Read 2676 times)

tibook

• View Profile
Hello,

I have an Axis 207W that I'm using with iCamSource on the Mac. I have a few questions:

1) Is there support coming for audio streaming from IP cams? I am happy with iCam but I really want to be able to hear from my Axis cam.

2) If not, or in the meantime, can you enable us to select a different audio source for the IP cam? At least I could use the audio from my computer to go along with the video from my IP cam.

3) I'm assuming the poor refresh rate (even when viewed on computer) is because this is a java app, will performance be improved upon?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 01:26:06 PM by tibook »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
For the time being, the IP cam support is video only.   Once the video support has stabilized, we will look into audio.  The biggest question is whether there is a standard format, like MJPEG for video.  If there is a standard audio format used by most IP cams, then we will most likely support it in the future.  I will look into what it'll take to use an alternate audio source.

On the iPhone, the framerate is limited on cellular networks because Apple requires that we keep the bandwidth usage down.  The framerate is throttled on the iCamWeb java applet to keep CPU usage reasonable and because the java applet always uses the full image for each camera, unlike the iPhone app, which uses thumbnail images when multiple cameras are displayed simultaneously.

tibook

• View Profile
I believe most, esp. ones that support 3GPP profiles, use a GSM codec for audio.

LabradorNYC

• View Profile
Re: Audio from Network Cam, or possibly Audio/Video from different sources
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 08:50:16 AM »
Huge +1 for audio support on the Axis 207W. I know a whole host of parents who would use that particular model as a nanny cam with iCam but it absolutely needs audio support.

Also, motion support is excellent but adding in a push notification for exceeding an audio threshold would make iCam truly the best baby monitor around.