Author Topic: Run ICam when PC is off  (Read 2133 times)

tekton23

• View Profile
Run ICam when PC is off
« on: September 08, 2013, 11:33:29 AM »
Hi,

I have two IP cams that I would love to use for motion detection and security when I am away. The problem is that I do not have a PC running all day long. I only have a laptop which will normally be switched off. How can I check the cameras or ensure motion events are recorded, when isource is normally switched off?

Thanks,

T23

rjgvt

• View Profile
Re: Run ICam when PC is off
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »
IP cams can be checked remotely with one of several apps on a smartphone. Icamsource cannot run without a computer being on. Some IP cams come with software that can be set up to record on motion, but I have found that it is much simpler to keep a computer on and run Icamsource.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 04:50:36 PM »
I completely agree with rjgvt. The motion monitoring/recording features that are built-in to many IP cameras can present various problems: too sensitive or not sensitive enough...or changing the sensitivity setting doesn't seem to change anything...plus you have to figure out how/where to save the recorded events. If you have recorded motion events e-mailed to you, e-mail servers can be slow and often have limits on how many messages can be sent in a given amount of time (to prevent spam), AND have data limitations. You're much better off spending the extra little money on electricity to keep your computer on 24/7. In addition to using my computer to run icamsource 24/7, I also use my computer as a DVR (I'm running Windows 7 Pro, which includes Media Center, paired with a cable card tuner so I can use it with my HD TV service--works with FIOS/Time Warner/etc), and as a remote computer (there are a few things I just can't do directly on my phone, but that I can accomplish through my phone by tapping into my computer). This helps justify leaving it on 24/7. You'll just want to make sure your laptop is always plugged in and sitting on a hard surface (not cloth or carpet) so it can get good airflow, and use compressed air to occasionally clean out the fan air inlet and outlet.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 04:37:38 AM »
Anthony,

I use a dedicated Windows 7 Pro computer for Icamsource. I can remote into it to stop/start Icamsource, etc. Also have my router set up for remote login so I can check on things there too.Sometimes the IP address for the computer gets reassigned and I have to change the port forwarding in the router. I use Remote RDP on my Droid phone to remote in.