Author Topic: IPod Touch as iCamSource  (Read 2887 times)

Moshcrates

• View Profile
IPod Touch as iCamSource
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
I am trying to use this software as a baby monitor but interested in expanding from there into a home security outfit if it works well.

I am reading that the iCamSource is needed in order to stream the video out.  However, I see no mention of being able to use the mobile devices as the source for the streams? For instance, could I rig an iPod Touch up to the crib, stream video from there, and receive on my other mobile devices?

Thank you for any information. I am ready to buy the app, I just need to know if that will work. Haven't found my answer yet.

Thank you

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: IPod Touch as iCamSource
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 02:12:09 PM »
SKJM also sells an app called IPcam, which turns your iPhone (and possibly iTouch?) into an IP camera. You would still need a camera running icamsource...it will "fetch" the image stream from the iPhone-turned-IP cam and allow iCam on a different iPhone to view that feed. iCam is compatible with a few IP cameras that have the PTZ option...something to consider if you think you might need to re-aim the camera remotely.

Moshcrates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:24:11 PM »
SKJM also sells an app called IPcam, which turns your iPhone (and possibly iTouch?) into an IP camera. You would still need a camera running icamsource...it will "fetch" the image stream from the iPhone-turned-IP cam and allow iCam on a different iPhone to view that feed. iCam is compatible with a few IP cameras that have the PTZ option...something to consider if you think you might need to re-aim the camera remotely.

Thanks for the information.
Let me give you my set up.  Trying to set up my own babymonitor.  Which I think a lot of people are doing here.

I have :
iPod touch
iPad
iPhone 4S
Win7 pc with web cam

My goal was to rig my iPod Touch to the crib and stream the video. 
From what you are saying, the IPcam app can turn my iPod Touch into the stream source, but I would still need my pc + webcam set up to fetch that data (with iCamSource)...which would then stream to my other devices. 

Do I have that correct?

Thank you for the response btw

aen333

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
Yes. You set it up as an Ethernet/ wifi cam in icam source with the URL shown on the iPod screen and /video.mjpg after it.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »

Thanks for the information.
Let me give you my set up.  Trying to set up my own babymonitor.  Which I think a lot of people are doing here.

I have :
iPod touch
iPad
iPhone 4S
Win7 pc with web cam

My goal was to rig my iPod Touch to the crib and stream the video. 
From what you are saying, the IPcam app can turn my iPod Touch into the stream source, but I would still need my pc + webcam set up to fetch that data (with iCamSource)...which would then stream to my other devices. 

Do I have that correct?

Thank you for the response btw

Yes, that is correct. Run ipCam on your iPod Touch, and at the bottom there will be an http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ URL. (The xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx will be the specific IP address for your iPad, something like 192.168.1.1) Use that URL to set up a camera in iCamSource like you would any other Network IP camera: http://skjm.com/icam/help/#setup

When you run iCamSource, you'll need to select the "Ethernet /Wi-Fi" tab. Then, enter the MJPEG JPEG URL for your iPod Touch running ipCam.

The MJPEG URL for ipCam is http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/video.mjpg (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your iPhone's IP address).

(I would also suggest turning on the "4:3 Crop" option in ipCam since you are going to be using it with the iCamSource and iCam.)

More information about setting ipCam up with iCam can be found in the FAQ section of our ipCam Support Pages here: http://skjm.com/ipcam/support.php#faq