Author Topic: Bandwidth Question  (Read 1869 times)

s3lffan

• View Profile
Bandwidth Question
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:34:51 AM »
Hello,

I am just curious whether this program uses internet bandwidth when you are NOT viewing the webcam via the iphone (or via another computer).  For example, does the source program provide a constant internet feed or does it only provide the feed when the user tries to access the computer?

I appreciate any help I can get.  My stupid IP provider seriously limits my bandwidth use, but this program sounds great to monitor my dogs away from home. ;)

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bandwidth Question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:47:14 PM »
Video data is only sent from the computer when an iPhone is actually connected and viewing the webcam.

When an iCamSource is idle it is sending a small amount of data (about 100 bytes) every 5 seconds or so to the iCam Broker Server to let it know it is still there. That equates to about 61 MB of data uploaded per month if it is just sitting there 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When iCam or iCamWeb is connected, then naturally the image data being uploaded will be added to the total.  Push notifications can also add to slightly to the total bandwidth.

If your bandwidth is limited or metered, I would suggest that you don't leave iCam or iCamWeb open viewing your webcam(s) for extended periods of time.