Author Topic: total white out  (Read 3668 times)

burundanga

• View Profile
total white out
« on: July 31, 2009, 02:12:23 AM »
I have a Powerbook running 10.4.x and an external Logitech cam.  My iCam iphone app and iCam source are up to date.  The cam works fine with all other applications including photobooth and skype. I do know that all other apps have to be disconnected from teh cam before iCam can connect.

The only picture I get with iCam is total white out.  I can see a very vague outline of the scene but it is barely distinguishable.  I am having no connection problems per se, just the picture looks like it is incredibly overexposed.

I can connect to my macbook with builtin isight with no problems whatsoever. Its just my powerbook with external logitech cam with issues.

Any thoughts on what my problem is?

Thank you.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: total white out
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 02:32:11 PM »
Please make sure the Powerbook is running 10.4.11 with all the latest updates.

Do you see the same behavior if you use the Logitech cam on the Macbook instead of the Powerbook?

burundanga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:23:07 AM »
Thank you for your response Jay.  I will check these issues tonite.

Cheers

yhk6

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:10:31 PM »
I just had the same problem running XP...
whenever I start iCam I would get a white screen on my wifi camera.

To fix the issue,
I just had to recycle the power on the webcam and everything was back to normal  ;)

mjkaufman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:48:49 AM »
I seem to be the odd man out, my Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 still shows the white-out.  I have noticed two really odd things however:
1) While ICam Source shows the white image, PhotoBooth shows the live feed from the camera.
2) When the QuickCam is plugged into a USB port on my MacPro it works fine (both in PhotoBooth and iCam); when plugged into a powered USB hub iCam shows a white-out while PhotoBooth shows the live feed.
While the direct USB work-around is fine for the time being (just really awkward), I would like to know why it happens and if it is fixable.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 01:30:28 PM »
mjkaufman - The Mac version of iCamSource calls the Quicktime libraries for video capture, so there isn't anything in the iCamSource code that would affect this particular situation.  Make sure that Quicktime is fully updated on your computer.  You can do that by clicking the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and selecting "Software Update.."

mjkaufman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 01:41:38 PM »
Make sure that Quicktime is fully updated on your computer.  You can do that by clicking the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and selecting "Software Update.."
Software update is always my first step, so that has already been done.
Is it possible that it is a power issue? It doesn't make sense as the camera is working with PhotoBooth, but I cannot think of anything else.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 05:27:12 PM »
It could be a power issue, or it could be that the hub is degrading the signal in a way that Photobooth can deal with, but Quicktime can't. 

If you haven't already, try rebooting your computer.