Author Topic: Supported PoE Camera?  (Read 1837 times)

slappywhite

• View Profile
Supported PoE Camera?
« on: April 09, 2014, 01:01:41 PM »
Does anyone currently use a PoE (Power over Ethernet) camera with iCam? I'm looking for an outdoor PoE cam and most use h.264 which does not work with iCam.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Supported PoE Camera?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 04:56:41 PM »
You can convert a Foscam or cheap knockoff to POE using a car USB charger, or you can buy a PoE converter. The main issue with this is the risk of placing one of these indoor cameras outdoors. You can get a Foscam knockoff for $60 or so...maybe worth the risk of mounting it outdoors under an eave that protects from rain, sun, etc. If it dies in a year or 2, perhaps it was worth the cost? I'm going to risk it, and have read other people say they've had good luck with it (as long as it's a protected area). I purchased some PoE equipment from wifi-soft.com. I had some questions about limitations, product ideas, etc, and personal customer service was provided by a guy named Murray. I believe he's the US sales rep for the company, which is international. Murray was very helpful. I'm pretty sure they have exactly what you'd need if you decide to try out a cheap pan/tilt camera (or even cheaper non-pan/tilt camera) outdoors. For what it's worth, I've used some cheap non-pan/tilt cameras in a gutted house (I'm remodeling) for a couple of years. Texas summers are hell, and I haven't had a hiccup (120 degrees + in the house). I also haven't had issues with temperatures in the teens. It's been everywhere from 95% humidity to extremely dry, no issues. The main issues with the indoor cameras it to keep them dry (and relatively clean).

rjgvt

• View Profile
Re: Supported PoE Camera?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 04:43:30 AM »
I thought of using a POE Airlink camera (AIC1620POE) in a camera enclosure like one from Swann with a heater and blower. Airlink also sells an 8 port switch with 4 port POE. I'd like to set this up at my camp, but the DSL is weak and I have it taxed with 3 IP cams running as it is. I want to put it up in a tree pointed at the building.