Author Topic: Multiple USB cameras on one computer  (Read 8584 times)

iphone2000

• View Profile
Multiple USB cameras on one computer
« on: November 15, 2009, 02:06:59 PM »
I've seen some posts that state running multiple instances of the app should work with different cameras, but I'm not having any luck.  I'm using a Dell XP netbook, (no built in webcam) and two of the same usb webcams.  I run two instances of the app, make the name of each unique and select the appropriate video/audio source.  If I run them individually, I can get them to work.  When I run them at the same time, starting the second one will just result in a black screen.  If I stop the first one,then start the second one it works, and vice versa.  Any tricks that you've found to run multiple cameras on one computer?
Thanks, and great app, I was shocked at how easy it was to get up and running, no issues when running independent cameras on independent computers.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple USB cameras on one computer
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »
Are you plugging them directly into a computer, or into a USB hub? If you're using a hub, I would suggest plugging them in directly.

Some users have had a similar issue, and it seems to be a hardware issue. Perhaps the USB bus of the computer is unable to power both cameras at once.

Have you tried running both webcams at the same time with software other than the iCamSource?

iphone2000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 05:19:33 PM »
They are plugged in directly to the computer, I tried another computer with a built in webcam with an external usb (thinking that it couldn't handle two of the exact same type of USB cameras) but same result.  Running two instances of iCam Source setting each one to specific audio/video camera, and they work fine independently, but if you try to start the second one after the first one is running successfully, you just get the black screen. (same result on a Lenovo too) Not sure how to test your theory of running another application, but I'd assume the same result.  In other words, not an iCam Source issue, but a Dell video card issue.  Any other thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 08:35:19 PM »
I would make sure that you have installed the latest drivers for the webcams. If you have any other applications that access the webcams (like Skype or any other software that came with them) you can attempt to run two different webcam applications to see if you can access both cameras from different applications at the same time. You are right, though, that it might be a driver issue of some kind.

steveken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »
I am having the same issues as the OP.  The only difference is I am on an iMac (brand new, early 2010 iMac).  I am trying to use "iCamSource.app" for the built-in iSight camera and a renamed "iCamSource 1.app" on an external Logitech camera (newer version that most definitely works on OS X) connected to a USB hub that gets its power from an external power supply.

If I start up either camera by itself in its respective program, they work just fine.  When I try to start the second camera up, the first one continues to work fine, but the second camera just does not come up.  If I stop both and reverse the order in which I start them, the first one works and the second one does not.  I know this isn't a "driver" issue as OS X doesn't really have drivers that can be updated or anything.  

This has worked for me in the past, but when I tried to start it up again in this past week, it just does not work.  I don't really know what the problem is, I just want it to work.  It is an added layer to my home security system that I would like to get working.  Any and all help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:  Okay, a slight modification here.  I unplugged it from the external USB hub that has its own power source that I have used before successfully and instead plugged the camera into the back of the iMac into a spare port.  Now it works....kinda.  I am still getting a message every now and then that something happened to one of the cameras....the whole broker connection error bit.  This occurs when I am on my home wifi connection and everything is okay.  Not sure why it happens, but I don't guess its a big deal.  Just would rather be able to use the external hub to do this, but I can always run an extension cord for it. :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:20:35 PM by steveken »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 04:32:31 PM »
We have seen issues in the past with webcams not functioning correctly due to voltage / power issues with the USB bus. USB hubs and extension cables can cause stability problems, not just with the iCamSource but with other webcam applications. You could try removing other USB devices from the hub to see if that helps, or choose No Audio in the iCamSource so that the webcam microphone isn't engaged as well.

Did anything change in terms of what USB devices were connected to your computer that coincided to when things were no longer working for you?

steveken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:20:12 PM »
See, that's the thing, if the hub has its own independent power source supplying all the voltage for each port, then it should not matter if the webcam is on a hub or not.  The part of the hub that the computer needs after that is nothing but the data bus itself since the hub is pulling its power from another source.  When I tried it in the hub there was nothing else on it drawing power or data other than the receiver for my wireless mouse and those don't require much voltage (but that shouldn't matter because, again, the hub has its own power source) or much data going through the line.  I did, however, choose no audio when trying this out and it did not change anything.  No, there were no other changes at all in any regard aside from taking the webcam from the hub port to the computer port. 

This just doesn't seem to make much sense to me, but I guess it is just how it is.  I thought plugging the webcam in to the hub would offer me greater versatility, but if it is just going to have issues, so be it, I won't use it that way. :)