Author Topic: iPhone Battery life with app running  (Read 3162 times)

desertelvis

• View Profile
iPhone Battery life with app running
« on: April 22, 2010, 02:49:20 PM »
First of all...Love this App! Easy to install and does exactly what I wanted...!  ;)

Anyways... this app seems to really draw on the iPhone battery. I have push notification off already, and am not using the sound feature. It is simply the app on for a minute or two, about 10 times throughout the day. I'm alreeady down to 48% from a full charge, where normally I would be in the 80-85% with my normal usage this time of day.

Anyone else have this same experience? Tech guys, any thoughts on this?...

Thank you in advance.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone Battery life with app running
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:23:15 PM »
I don't think iCam uses much more battery than any other iPhone application that accesses the Internet ... Anyone else have an opinion on this?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 03:24:09 PM »
Is your phone jailbroken? If so, is it possible that you accidently left iCam running in the background on your phone? If so, I'd imagine that would quickly drain your phone. If your phone is jailbroken, try charging it completely and then rebooting your phone. Use it for a day without accessing iCam and see if you get different results. Then enable Push and repeat the process (without actually accessing iCam). On the 3rd day, repeat using iCam as you stated below...but make sure that you quickly tap the home button to close iCam. If your phone is jailbroken and you hold the home button down for any significant amount of time, it enables backgrounding and then minimizes the app that is currently open. Apps that use the Internet heavily will quickly drain your battery if they are allowed to run in the background.

desertelvis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 11:36:47 AM »
no, my phone is not jailbroken.

when i didn't use the app over the weekend, the battery life was normal... when I used it yesterday, it drained very fast again.

With a non-jailbroken phone, does the app run in the backround when exiting the phone by pushing the sleep/wake button? I have been doing that.

In any case, if I am looking at the cam through the app intermittently throughout the day, the battery barely makes it until I get home from work...

any other thoughts on this?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »
I use iCam intermittently throughout the day and I find that when I browse the web or check e-mails more often that that really eats up my battery.

It may just be the additional network communication that is the culprit.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:07:20 PM »
I always close my apps using the home button before I lock the screen. But it does seem like I left an app open once with the screen locked for the entire day...and I'm thinking the battery drained dramatically like you experienced. It's also possible that I just accidently left an app running in the background all day (jailbroken), so I'm not 100% sure. Try closing the app before you lock the screen throughout a day and see if that fixes it. Let me know what happens...I'm curious.