Author Topic: question regarding remote setups  (Read 1348 times)

himochi

• View Profile
question regarding remote setups
« on: June 17, 2011, 09:19:01 AM »
hi guys, first of all im super happy with the product, but i need you to help me with some new config i want to do. Unfortunately i due to the prices of the local market here in south america i cannot afford to buy something that will not work later so lets see if you can help me out before i get this.

i already have 1 pc with 1 logitech 9000 camera working fine at home.

i have another location i want to keep an eye on, but there is NO COMPUTER there, there is however an ethernet or wifi connection available.

if i buy a Linksys WVC80N and i connect it to internet alone straight into the router (without a pc) would i be able to still monitor this from my iphone app? if so will push notifications and all features work?

the camera is listed as a compatible camera however im still not clear if i need an extra pc at that location or not.

im sorry for my english and thanks in advance.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: question regarding remote setups
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
It mainly depends on if you have access to the router at the 2nd location, as you will probably need to forward ports for the camera. Also, does the 2nd location have a static IP address (one that does not change)? If not, does your router support dynamic DNS? If your ISP changes you IP address of that 2nd location, then you will want to have dynamic DNS up and running so you can use your domain name (free from https://www.dyndns.com/account/services/hosts/add.html) as the address for the camera. But you need to make sure that you router will, in fact, keep dyndns.com updated with your current IP address...otherwise your camera will stop working as soon as your ISP changes your address.

With all of that being said, you will be able to remotely monitor your camera IF you correctly configure the port forwarding at the remote location and IF you either have a static IP address OR get dynamic DNS to function correctly. The quality/consistency of your camera connection will depend on your Internet connection, assuming that you computer can easily handle monitoring a 2nd camera. Each camera you add increases the processing power slightly. IP cameras generally use less CPU power than webcams though, which is good.

One last thing...you will probably want to play with the settings of the remote camera until you get it as stable/fast as possible...picture size (max of 640 x 480), frames per second (maximum of 5), picture quality, etc.