Author Topic: Another problem receiving iCam images on iPhone  (Read 2053 times)

crazy_ivan

• View Profile
Another problem receiving iCam images on iPhone
« on: September 12, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »
Hi. I've looked at a number of the support threads on the problem I'm having but I just can't seem to find the combination that fit's my experience with the error I'm receiving.
I'm running an aluminum iMac on 10.6.8 using iCamSource 2.5. I recently purchased iCam for my iPhone 4s and I'm on a 3g network. When I open the source I see that in the preferences that I'm connected to the server. My Mac is wired directly to my router.
When I attempt to connect via my 3g I receive a message, 'Source Connection Error: One or more of the iCamSources returned by the iCam Broker Server could not be connected to.
Out of curiosity I tried the Auto-Config Router but I see either way I'm still connected to the Server. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Another note, I've seen a few notifications come to my phone when testing but again when I click the notification I receive the same error. WiFi does work if I tie my computer into my Wireless router but everyday use the Mac is connected to the DSL modem.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:03:44 PM by crazy_ivan »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Another problem receiving iCam images on iPhone
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »
Does your DSL modem also act as a router? If not, am I right to assume that you don't normally have your wifi router hooked up to the Internet since your Mac is usually connected directly to your modem?

crazy_ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:50:35 PM »
I have a DSL modem that I run my Mac on. The Wifi router (I use the wireless for handheld devices, laptops and a streaming device to our TV).
My attempts were thru the ethernet port on the wireless (netgear wndr3800) and then directly thru the DSL. In both cases I was able to see an instantaneous 'Connection to the Server' as well as the occasional notifications from the server on detection of movement.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »
From your first post, it sounds like you've attempted to use icamsource with and without the "auto config router" setting enabled and still experience the same issue. Is that correct? If you haven't tried it both ways, try running icamsource with the "auto config router" disabled. In my experience, it works best in that configuration when only using 1 camera.

If that doesn't work, and the "auto config router" option didn't work, then I'm out of ideas (unless your DSL modem has a built-in firewall...in which case you'd need to enable uPNP on the router OR set up manual port forwarding in both the router AND in icamsource). If you're not sure, you can post the brand/model of your DSL modem and I'll try to find out for you.

If there's anything I'm missing, I'm sure the SKJM guys will jump in.

crazy_ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 08:19:17 PM »
Ok, I was able to get things straight. Not only can I run my iMac thru my gigabit port of my wireless router but I was able to go into my dsl router and forward the ports. This was the problem.
I found an awesome site thru a Google search, which I'm sure most here are familiar with: portforward.com. You can go to this site, simply enter the model number of your router and it will explain in detail how to set about to utilize your router with iCam Source.
Sure enough, I got a response on my iPhone 4s immediately via 3G.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 08:43:10 PM »
Awesome...glad you got it figured out. Yeah, portforward.com is a good site. I think that's the one SKJM recommends using when they suspect a port forwarding issue.