Author Topic: QUESTION: Motion Detector when Computer asleep  (Read 10252 times)

Janethiggins

• View Profile
QUESTION: Motion Detector when Computer asleep
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:37:55 PM »
How does the motion detector work if my computer goes into sleep mode when I am away?
Do I have to set my computer to NEVER go to sleep so that this iCam app is always on?
Won't that hurt my computer eventually if the display never goes to sleep?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: QUESTION: Motion Detector when Computer asleep
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:56:32 PM »
It won't work if your computer enters sleep mode...you'll have to disable sleep mode. Running your computer 24/7 will not hurt it...it'll only hurt the electric bill a little. You can use the power configuration settings to turn off the display only after a specified number of minutes. If you leave the display on 24-7, you could very well get "burn-in" on your monitor. Just because the monitor turns off does not mean your computer is in sleep mode. Sleep mode is when your hard drives turn off and your motherboard enters a low state of energy use (essentially only able to process the wake-up command...not able to do anything else). In addition, some accessory cards/devices are often disabled during sleep mode (which really doesn't matter to you since icamsource won't be doing anything in sleep mode).

Janethiggins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:59:22 PM »
Thank you! So...I should set my Display to go to sleep like after 15 minutes, but set my COMPUTER to NEVER sleep? Is that correct?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 08:00:33 PM »
Correct! Glad I could help.

Janethiggins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »
How do I get iCamsource to recognize my other camera?  I have the new iMac desktop. I can see the Built in isight camera fine, (it's facing me) but when I connect my other clip on iSight external camera (this is facing out into the hallway)  into the firewire port I can see that THAT camera is working when iChat pops up, but it isn't listed as a second camera in iCamsource.  I clicked add camera, but the Video drop down only gives me one choice: Built in iSight.  It doesn't give me a choice that says: iSight.  How do I get both cameras working?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:47:27 PM »
I'm not a Mac guy, so I can't help you with that. The SKJM guys should be able to help you though. Good luck!

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:49:23 PM »
Make sure that no other video capture programs (such as iChat) are running.  They might be preventing iCamSource from accessing the camera.

Have you rebooted your computer since this problem first appeared?  If not, please try rebooting the computer.