Author Topic: Remote Wireless Webcams  (Read 9465 times)

Icamuser

• View Profile
Remote Wireless Webcams
« on: December 23, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Perhaps this is an old question.

I use EZwatch software on a PC located in another state to monitor a building. Between Windows and the DVR software it is not reliable. I thought it could be replaced with 3 wireless webcams and the PC based system moved to my house where I can "adjust, fix, monitor" it and use it to monitor locally with something non-windows based it its place.

Thus the question.  If I use webcams with an IP address in the remote location, can iCam running on a PC in a local location see these cameras? This would allow me to have my laptop already running iCam to process the images and do motion sensing etc.  My goal is to remove Windows on a pC and the EZwatch application on top of Windows in the remote viewing.  Remote webcams could talk to the remote access point to the remote router to the Internet and have no PC in the train. Locally, my laptop would run iCam where I can manage it and send to my iPhone.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Remote Wireless Webcams
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:37:50 PM »
If you are able to connect to the remote IP cameras from a local computer using your web browser then yes, the iCamSource would also be able to connect to them.

Icamuser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 12:17:31 PM »
If you are able to connect to the remote IP cameras from a local computer using your web browser then yes, the iCamSource would also be able to connect to them.
Thanks. I am going to pick up today 3 Cisco Linksys WVC80N cameras, new cable modem and router just in case my modem and/or router has problems. Pending weather, I will be driving 700 miles to install this stuff. Hope all works well since it is a 1400 mile round trip.  These cameras come with a free 90 days of TZO.

Should I consider other cams?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 12:44:47 PM by Icamuser »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 03:33:09 PM »
Should I consider other cams?

That camera should be good if you don't want night vision capabilities.

Icamuser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 04:51:55 PM »
Night vision is not an issue. I leave two lights on in the boiler room and the parking lot is well lit. The main area inside my building has motion sensing lights.  I am opening boxes now to try before driving up. Almost like Christmas with toys.  Thanks. Will post the results.

Icamuser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »
I have one working on wireless. I can see it and its broadcast using the Cisco Camera Utility that came with the camera. Need to reread the iCam instructions again, it's been awhile.....

Icamuser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 07:50:09 PM »
So far I can connect to the WVC80N wireless cam via the IE browser with the default URL and also with the Linksys Camera Utility.

But not iCamSource. If I start from a reboot I get the can not connect to error. If I retry to connect, I get the Your network webcam may not be currently supported error. Tried in both mjpeg and jpeg mode.

All this is on my local wireless net. Camera on wireless, laptop wired to the router.

So we know the camera works, but I can't see it using iCamSource 1.4.2.6 Beta

Any thoughts as to what I might try next?
I am using AVG and turned off the firewall.
 Thanks
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:53:12 PM by Icamuser »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 07:55:38 PM »
I would enable remote management of the router and enable DDNS (get a free DDNS account at dyndns.org), as well as remote management on your computer running icamsource. If anything should happen, you will then have the ability to restart the router and the computer (or icamsource) if needed. If your connection isn't consistent, you might need to set up manual port forwarding...which you could do from 700 miles away if you enable all of the remote management features that I mentioned. I also enabled Wake-on-LAN (in BIOS settings) on my computer so that if the electricity ever goes out, I can turn it back on from wherever I am...thus re-enabling my security camera system. I think you need the MAC address of your network card on your icamsource computer to do that, though.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 07:57:27 PM »
Sorry, didn't see your most current post when I replied. What URL are you using for the camera's video feed in icamsource?

Icamuser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
OK.  Tried the alternate URL from the troubleshooting section   (http://192.168.1.101/img/video.mjpeg) and got a picture.  Now onto the iPhone.....

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »
Did you enable auto port configuration in icamsource, and uPNP on your router? You'll definitely need that with multiple cameras.

Icamuser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 08:06:57 PM »
Thanks Anthony.  I am strickly local on my house wireless/wired at the moment.  I am sure your settings will be most important when I get to ME and set up the cameras there. I have not opened the new Linksys router I picked up till I check whether it is the modem or router that seems to be on its last legs as I am unable at this point to see my remote building.  I want to get a camera working here and be able to see it from the internet. Tomorrow I will be at my son's house to check from there.
I am just now going to try the iPhone.  Previously with my USB camera, I was using port forwarding.
 Stay tuned....  -Doug

Icamuser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 08:14:59 PM »
iPhone connects on 3G and house wireless.  I must have been a good boy. 

Now to study your recommendations and open another camera box.
With the cameras came a 90 day trial subscription to TZO for a domain name. I will look at dyndns.org also as per your suggestion.

Icamuser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »
I would enable remote management of the router and enable DDNS (get a free DDNS account at dyndns.org), as well as remote management on your computer running icamsource. If anything should happen, you will then have the ability to restart the router and the computer (or icamsource) if needed. If your connection isn't consistent, you might need to set up manual port forwarding...which you could do from 700 miles away if you enable all of the remote management features that I mentioned. I also enabled Wake-on-LAN (in BIOS settings) on my computer so that if the electricity ever goes out, I can turn it back on from wherever I am...thus re-enabling my security camera system. I think you need the MAC address of your network card on your icamsource computer to do that, though.

My goal with this new remote monitoring method using iCamSource was to get rid of the PC and DVR software package with the 4 existing cameras at my remote location. I would like to have 3 or 4 cameras and just purchased two WVC80N to try. My plan was to have the cameras either plugged into the router or wireless at my building and monitor via iCamSource on my laptop here, 700 miles away.

I have (at the remote location)  a UPS with a timer to reboot cameras and router and cable modem once a week. This seems to work OK when the cable net connection sometimes drops during the snow storms. So ultimately I could check cameras at my house and cameras at my remote location on one iPhone and have no remote PC!

It just occured to me that I might need a ddns account for each remote camera.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 08:39:19 PM by Icamuser »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 03:31:52 AM »
I hope you appreciate this...spent some time on it. This is your Christmas present. lol Anyway, the best thing to do would be to pay extra for a static IP address for your remote location. This can be quite expensive though, so I'd understand if you wanted to avoid it. So if you want to avoid that cost, read on:

Here's an checklist of things that I would do, in order, if I were you (cheapest with good backup plans):

1) Before you depart for the remote location, enable remote management (and possibly set up a static IP/port forwarding if needed) of your local computer (computer where you live) so that you can configure/run icamsource immediately once all of the remote steps are completed. Or if you choose IP addresses/ports (read below) for each camera before you leave and set up a dyndns.org account, you could possibly schedule icamsource to start automatically when you think you'll be done with the below steps (let's figure a 8 hours max, once you get there and start working). Make sure that you have uPNP enabled on your local router (where you live) and have enabled auto port configuration in icamsource.

2) Install cameras and assign each camera a static IP address within your network (such as 192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102, etc). Make sure you are able to access the camera through your local network, obviously. Use the same username and password for all cameras to simplify life. If the cameras are wireless and your wireless network security is WAP, try to avoid a passphrase that uses non-alphanumeric characters...some cameras have a bug that will prevent it from connecting. I'm not sure if your cameras suffers from that bug. Just keep that in mind when you're setting it up.

3) On the remote computer (computer at remote location - I will refer to it as remote computer from now on):
- enable wake-on-LAN in the BIOS at bootup (there might be an aditional option in your operating system under power management that you'd need to enable), and assign it a static IP address (such as 192.168.1.100). Wake-on-LAN might only work if your computer is wired to the router...not wireless.
- on the remote computer, make sure remote management is enabled in the operating system.

Download and install the following programs:
- dropbox (for free remote backup of motion events should you ever have to resort to using this computer again)
- dyndns.org's DNS updater program (free) & register for a free dyndns.org account and then setup the DNS updater program
- icamsource AND, if a Windows machine, download this file (http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSourcePortForwarding.reg) to enable manual port forwarding. Install icamsource and then run the manual port forwarding registry file (with icamsource not running). Start icamsource (again, this is a backup to your desired plan), and use the IP addresses from step 2 to add the cameras as sources. For the port forwarding, forward ports 12000-12027 (or same ports you use in step 4 below). Change the motion recording directory so that it is within the dropbox directory (so motion events will be saved offsite if you ever need to use this computer to run icamsource). As far as the icamsource username/password goes, you might use the same username but make the password slightly different than your local version of icamsource so iCam doesn't freak out if you ever have them both running at the same time. This means you will have to change the password in your iCam app to switch to this icamsource. Start and stop icamsource so that it saves all settings.

4) On the remote router, enable remote management (make note of the port!). Make sure you have a secure password on your router. If possible, you might research and see what range of IP addresses AT&T uses for the iPhone. If you can find out this range, you could use it to limit the range of IP addresses that will be granted access to your remote router...preventing most hackers from even trying to guess your password. Disable uPNP. Set up manual port forwarding for the following ports (if forwarding only one specific port, I used the Virtual Server settings on the router...when forwarding a range of IP addresses, I used Firewall Rule settings on my router):
- private port 3389 for IP address of your remote computer to public port 100 (all protocols)...this is for Remote Desktop on Windows machines. If you have a Mac, you'll have to research the correct port (private) for remote management.
- private ports 7 and 9 for IP address of your remote computer to public ports 98 and 99 (all protocols)...this is for wake-on-LAN.
- private port 80 for IP address of camera #1 to public port 101 (TCP protocol)
- private port 80 for IP address of camera #2 to public port 102 (TCP protocol)
- private port 80 for IP address of camera #3 to public port 103 (TCP protocol)
- etc for additional cameras
- forward a range of UPD ports from 12000-12027 (good for 4 cameras...add 7 ports per camera) to the IP address of your remote computer (LAN interface)...this is what I had to do with a Firewall Rule. The purpose of this is to allow icamsource on your remote computer (should you ever need it) to communicate consistently with your iPhone.

5) Install the following free apps on your iPhone:
- Remote Desktop Lite - RDP (if using a Windows machine, this will allow you to remotely control it from your iPhone). There are better paid versions, such as WinRemote.
- Dropbox (this allows you to easily browse any motion events stored offsite)
- RemoteBoot Lite (this is to turn on the remote computer from anywhere...assuming the DDNS is updated correctly through the router). Read the reviews on iTunes for some helpful tips...this is kind of a pain. There is also a website that will allow you to send a WOL packet to any computer in the world. I haven't tried it, so I don't know how well it works.

6) Use your domain (let's assume icamuser.dyndns.org for now) to test the following.
- If using a Windows machine, use Remote Desktop Lite to connect to your remote computer by entering icamuser.dyndns.org:100, your computer username, and password. If you can't connect, then you'll need to figure out what you set up wrong. I'm not familiar with remoting into Mac computers, so I can't give advice on that. If you were able to connect successfully, then you'll be able to connect from anywhere you have an Internet connection...assuming DDNS is updating regularly.
- Shut down the remote computer and use RemoteBoot Lite to try to boot up the remote computer from your iPhone. If it works, then you'll be able to wake up your computer from anywhere you have an Internet connection...assuming DDNS is updating regularly. An example of the domain will be icamuser.dyndns.org:98 or icamuser.dyndns.org:99
- If your didn't set up icamsource on your local computer (back where you live) to start at a certain time, remote into that computer using Remote Desktop Lite (or Mac equivalent if using a Mac) to go in and set up/start icamsource. Your camera sources will be different than on the remote computer (which is on the same network as the cameras). You will replace the IP address of each camera with your domain name followed by a colon and the public port for each camera from step 4. For example: icamuser.dyndns.org:101/img/video.mjpeg, icamuser.dyndns.org:102/img/video.mjpeg, etc. Once you have set them all up and have a matching username/password in iCam and icamsource, start icamsource and see if you're able to view the cameras successfully.

7) Before you leave for home, save the MAC address of your remote computer's network card (for use with wake-on-LAN). Also make sure you save your remote location Internet provider's account number and customer service number. If DDNS ever fails you, you might be able to get them to give you the IP address currently assigned to your computer...which could allow you to wake up the remote computer, then login and run DDNS updater.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 03:29:52 PM by OUAnthony »