Author Topic: Netgear WNR2000v2 wireless router, WVC80N cameras and remote viewing / control  (Read 4512 times)

Icamuser

• View Profile
I have iCam working on this new stuff. Manually adding the port forwarding did not work, checking Turn UPnP On did. Both cameras appear on the iPhone. 
 Using the Cisco/Linksys utility from their CD to set up remote view/access from the Internet is not working. The utility requests the router's username and password and then say it is checking it and then comes back as not a valid entry.  I know it is a valid username and password because it works to log into the Netgear using IE8.  The Cisco utility will try a second time to test the router's usr and pswd  and then gives Error 101 and the you are screwed message which says you can not set up remote access for the cameras if it can not get the router info into the camera.

I did not see a place to add this router info to the cameras in the camera direct direct setup via the IE8 browser.  I have not gone to TZO.com or DynDDS.com yet to set up a hostname. 

Does anyone have a similar equipment setup? Am I missing something here?  I also want to of course access the router remotely also but one thing at a time is a good start.  Thanks

OUAnthony

• View Profile
uPNP only works for requests from the local network side...not from the Internet. You have to set up port forwarding for the IP cameras (not icamsource, since it is successfully using uPNP). If the local IP address of one of your cameras is 192.168.2.101, then you will go into the router settings > port forwarding and forward all Internet traffic for port 10001 to 192.168.2.101. I randomly selected that port #...but pick one in the 10000's because some lower ports are used for specific purposes....such as port 80 used for http traffic, etc. If you also need to enter an internal port (for your local network), use port 80 because http is the protocol used to load a webpage...such as your IP camera's webpage. Now do the same thing for the other cameras...but the public ports will be different numbers...let's say 10002, 10003, etc.

Once you get them set up, and assuming that you have already set up DDNS on your computer (let's assume your DDNS is icamuser.dyndns.org), then you will type the following addresses into your Internet browser:

icamuser.dyndns.org:10001    <--camera 1
icamuser.dyndns.org:10002    <--camera 2
icamuser.dyndns.org:10003    <--camera 3
(etc)

Icamuser

• View Profile
Thanks Anthony.  I am returning the Linksys cameras to Best Buy to try something else.  Too much trouble with their setup.  After 3 or 4 logins to the cameras to make changes, they begin to slow down to the point where you get the screens but fields are blank and then they grind to a complete halt. They must be power cycled too frequently to be dependable. Perhaps a higher end camera is more appropriate and one that will play nice with the Netgear wireless n router.
  So am walking to Best Buy when the sidewalk snow melts (how convenient is that) to see what else to try. 

OUAnthony

• View Profile
If you are accessing the cameras using the links I provided (using the ddns and port information), then it would be slower than normal because you are actually accessing it over the Internet. If you are accessing the cameras though their IP address on the local network, then you shouldn't be having significant issues concerning lag. Also, you might try using a different Internet browser (Mozilla Firefox, etc) to see if it's a problem with how the Internet browser interprets the code from the camera's website. I've seen a camera work flawlessly in one browser and be a real pain in the other browser. At the end of the day, this issue isn't that important as long as you can get your cameras set up the way you want them...because icamsource, when you start using it, will not be pulling the full webpage from the camera. It just uses a script on the camera to login and then just fetches the video images. If the camera freezes when you have icamsource running, THEN you should definitely get new cameras. I can't speak to the quality of those Linksys cameras. I use D-Link DCS-910's and DCS-920's in my setup. The image quality is ok for use as a security camera in combination with iCam, and they are cheap. The cameras have never froze up on me...which is important to me. I'm not sure that they would survive outdoors though...they definitely weren't made for outdoor use.