Author Topic: View Motion Events can be really slow  (Read 3265 times)

slappywhite

• View Profile
View Motion Events can be really slow
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:22:04 AM »
This issue began a few months ago. When I tap View Motion Events I sometimes can view the events immediately and sometimes it can take a full minute to list them. If I get tired of waiting I tap "back" and then "view motion events" again and often times they show up immediately. Is there something on the server side I can check to see where the lag is occurring? By the way, there is no change in CPU utilization on the server when it's attempting to list the events. That was the first thing I checked.

dkb52

• View Profile
Re: View Motion Events can be really slow
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:38:07 AM »
I've had this issue also.  It's as if iCamSource has difficulty locating the events folders.

Perhaps an old DOS PATH= command someplace to help the system (Win 7) help iCamSource relocate folders?

slappywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 01:33:09 PM »
I've had this issue also.  It's as if iCamSource has difficulty locating the events folders.

Perhaps an old DOS PATH= command someplace to help the system (Win 7) help iCamSource relocate folders?

Thanks, but this is Mac OS X Server 10.7.4. Probably should have mentioned that.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »
Maybe your hard drive has spun down to sleep (as per the System Preferences > Energy Saver setting) and the iCamSource has to wait for it to spin up again? Or perhaps they are being stored on a network drive that has either gone to sleep or needs to be re-mounted?

slappywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 10:34:51 AM »
Maybe your hard drive has spun down to sleep (as per the System Preferences > Energy Saver setting) and the iCamSource has to wait for it to spin up again? Or perhaps they are being stored on a network drive that has either gone to sleep or needs to be re-mounted?

It saves to a local disk which is never allowed to spin down, but you did point me in the right direction. I have the nine cam folders inside my Dropbox folder, so I can have a backup of the motion events in the case of the drive failing or any other disaster. Seems this constant syncing was causing iCam to drag when it was listing motion events. I removed all but three cameras from this Dropbox solution so I'll report back if this did not fix my issue. Thanks everyone.

dkb52

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 04:06:07 PM »

Makes sense, so I went back to double check.

My hard drive is set to turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity.  So, it would turn back on when motion is detected, and should not effect viewing (within that same 20 minutes) ?

My other features are set to NEVER sleep or hibernate when plugged in (unless I tell it to).

I think the randomness of this issue (for me), is the micro-disconnect while my router cycles to one of the other 7 devices.  I have set up priorities for some devices; however that does not prevent the micro-disconnect during idle times.  So, my "delays" may be during record or viewing while the router is connected someplace else for that micro-second; and it takes another micro-second for iCam and iCamSource to find each other.

I put possibilities in a hat, and this is the one that got pulled!