Author Topic: iCam Saved the Day!  (Read 3745 times)

slappywhite

• View Profile
iCam Saved the Day!
« on: November 19, 2010, 12:46:47 PM »
Hey SK & JM, here's another success story for you. I was sitting at work yesterday when iCam push notifications started blowing up on my iPhone.

Here's who got caught:

http://vimeo.com/16985199

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: iCam Saved the Day!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 01:54:25 PM »
Awesome! :)

I'm assuming you got your tools back?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 02:33:12 PM »
What brand/model cameras are you using? Mounted outdoors in appears? Mounted under eaves? Approximate cost of cameras? I gutted my house and am remodeling it...would love to incorporate some cameras like you have. Excellent video quality! Thanks. PM me if you don't want to share the info for all to see.

slappywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 03:50:22 PM »
Awesome! :)

I'm assuming you got your tools back?

Well, since he ditched the tools before the cops got him, all they could do was issue a warrant after I sent the detective this video. I was mostly upset about the entering of my backyard and shed (both not locked) than I was about the compressor and drill.

Now I have a lock on the gate again.

slappywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 03:56:41 PM »
What brand/model cameras are you using? Mounted outdoors in appears? Mounted under eaves? Approximate cost of cameras? I gutted my house and am remodeling it...would love to incorporate some cameras like you have. Excellent video quality! Thanks. PM me if you don't want to share the info for all to see.

I use nine cams total - Linksys WVC54GCA, mounted indoors and outdoors (under patio). I paid only about $50-$60 each on eBay, always used or refurb. Have had pretty good luck with them and they work in freezing temps to 100° temps no problem with all levels of humidity. Someday I'd like some higher res cams, but those are around $150 and up. Maybe I'll put one hi-res cam up front and leave the rest alone. Oh, and when I built this house I added some power receptacles up high in the hallway & living room specifically for this purpose.

scott721

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 08:50:04 AM »
Does the camera that you mention - Linksys WVC54GCA - work on Macs or is this a Windows-only device?  I've searched several forums, manufacturer links, etc., and cannot get a definitive answer although it appears to be Windows-only.

If this Linksys will only work on Windows with iCam can anyone recommend a good wireless camera to use with Macs? 

Many thanks to all readers. 

slappywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 02:13:19 PM »
Does the camera that you mention - Linksys WVC54GCA - work on Macs or is this a Windows-only device?  I've searched several forums, manufacturer links, etc., and cannot get a definitive answer although it appears to be Windows-only.

If this Linksys will only work on Windows with iCam can anyone recommend a good wireless camera to use with Macs? 

Many thanks to all readers. 

For the most part, yes it works with Macs, and really any browser (I recommend Chrome). During initial setup, a PC is preferred but not completely necessary. You place the camera on your wired network, then check your routers DHCP table to determine which IP was assigned to it. Or you can just guess based on your other DHCP IPs, eventually you will find it.

So for example, if your MacBook has an IP of 192.168.1.2, your Wii has an IP of 192.168.1.3, your iPhone 192.168.1.4, adding the camera will likely give it 192.168.1.5 assuming there are no other DHCP devices on your network. If you cannot load 192.168.1.5 in your browser, add +1 to the last number until you find it. It's much easier to check the DHCP table on your router, though.

So after that, you configure the camera through your browser. Follow the instructions for setting up iCam and you're done.

However, if you want to have the cameras also record video and email/ftp when they detect motion, you will need a PC for initial setup. Specifically you need Internet Explorer's ActiveX function to set the motion region. Even if you want the entire frame to be motion sensitive, you have to set it up at least once using IE. If you don't have access to a PC, try downloading the free VirtualBox and check the torrents for a copy of Windows XP. They are everywhere, or so I've heard.

Try one out and post back here if you have any problems.