Author Topic: Questions and a couple other things  (Read 2470 times)

wuzup

• View Profile
Questions and a couple other things
« on: September 04, 2009, 05:47:12 PM »
Greetings,

LOVE the app and its capabilities.  Some questions though:

1) What kind of security does the data stream from iCamSource to my iPhone maintain after the connection has been brokered? I don't mean the initial log on session request or the sent hash - I mean the constant outbound stream iCamSource is pushing to your servers (unless I am mistaken on when it pushes out the stream).  Is it encrypted? Being that it relies on UDP 12000-12100 I believe that anyone listening on that port could intercept the data and watch or listen to the stream, assuming they know where to look and have the tools.

2) If the iCamSource maintains a connection with the SKJM servers (which I am unsure that it does, so please clarify), what kind of upload data usage could I expect to see on my ISP statement if iCamSource is left on 24/7, even if I am not actively viewing the steam using iCam on my iPhone?  Assuming one does not have unlimited bandwidth allowance of course.

3) Am I correct in understanding that the stream is transmitted in MJPEG?  Could you detail for me what specifications the encoding has specifically please?

Thanks a ton for a great app and for your time answering these questions!

Also I have some feature requests while I am at it:

1) Night vision - although my camera's built in low light mode works fine as long as I leave one small light on in the room, I would like to see some kind of software based night vision implemented if possible.

2) Ability to log motion push notifications in a database, with an option to store in both the phone and/or in iCamSource, in case I need to reference a past event.

3) Video Recording, Sound Recording, or both.  Although I understand Apple's rules in not duplicating native iPhone features in apps, so this may be impossible in terms of obtaining rights.

4) If not video recording, at least allow iCamSource to take a screenshot (stored locally on the computer, but accessible from the phone) using the camera as soon as motion is detected.  And possibly a setting to take consecutive pictures every 1-3 seconds for a set amount of time after motion is detected.

5) Ability to interface with my camera software/controls through iCamSource.  Again, this may be crazy to implement due to the numerous cams and associated drivers people might use.  I might just have to settle for finding some kind of VPN solution.

Thanks again all, great job!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:16:36 PM by wuzup »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Questions and a couple other things
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:27:50 PM »
I'm glad you like iCam  :)

No video or audio data is ever sent to the server.  Nobody can intercept the data by listening on  UDP ports 12000-12100 (or any other ports).  The main security worry with iCam is the login and password. If somebody knows (or guesses) your login and password, they will be able to view your webcam.  Of course, this is true about your email and your online banking as well.  Make sure that you pick a login/password that can't be easily guessed by other people.

iCamSource doesn't keep a TCP connection with the server, but it does send periodic packets to the server to let the server know it's still there.  If iCamSource is left running for 24/7 for an entire month, these packets will use about 60 MB of bandwidth during the entire month.

The video data is sequential JPEG frames (similar to MJPEG) but it doesn't actually include the MJPEG header data.

It is possible for us to add tweaks to brightness, contrast, etc, but it wouldn't really be night vision, which requires an infrared camera with infrared LEDs.  There are actually a lot of cameras available with infrared capability.

A log of notifications is possible, I'll add it to our list of potential features to add to iCam in the future.

Recording has been requested by other users, and it is definitely on that list of potential features to add to iCam in the future.

PTZ controls have been requested in the past.  As you guessed, the main issue with implementing them is that the control interface for each brand of camera is totally different. 

I think I hit all the questions/suggestions there :) 

yadayada

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 06:38:05 PM »
Is your streaming still done with MJPEG or has that changed since this original post? I'm wondering if you've implemented H264 since that time since it would be a much lighter bandwidth load that MJPEG, no?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »
Yes, our streaming is still done via MJPEG. Implementing h.264 has been requested in the past and is currently on our list of potential features to implement in the future, but there are certain licensing issues that make it difficult to implement.