Author Topic: Icam video is frozen when not connected via wifi but works fine with wifi  (Read 2162 times)

g353g

• View Profile
I was able to only connect via wi-fi which works perfectly, i was getting error message so as shown on support i changed settings to allow port forwarding (mac osx.4.7 macbook with built in cam) and now when i connect without wifi all i get is a still image of what is on the cam?
Please help. 

Thanks. 

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The framerate on 3G/EDGE is much lower than local Wi-Fi, due to bandwidth constraints.  On wi-fi, you might see 5-10 frames a second, but on 3G, you'll never see a framerate faster than 1 frame every 2 seconds.  On EDGE the framerate can be even lower (1 frame every 5+ seconds).  Apple required us to drastically lower the bandwidth usage on 3G/EDGE.

Please let icam run for 30 seconds or so when it's on 3G to see if the image is updating.  Make sure the camera is pointing at something moving so you can tell whether the image changed.

g353g

• View Profile
Hi
thanks for the reply, i have just realised when i am not within wifi i do not have edge/3g here so it just runs over the standard GPRS connection which i presume runs much slower. Can this be improved at all?
Thanks.
G.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There isn't much we can do to improve the performance on GPRS, the bandwidth is just too low.  You can try disabling audio.  Then audio data won't be transferred, leaving more bandwidth for video data.  Another thing to note is that the thumbnail images are smaller images than the zoomed in images, so you will probably see a higher framerate on the thumbnail view than the zoomed view when you're connected to GPRS.

g353g

• View Profile
Thanks for your advice i will try things out....
cheers,
g