Author Topic: Slow Framerate Over WiFi  (Read 1381 times)

rockeet

• View Profile
Slow Framerate Over WiFi
« on: August 02, 2011, 04:25:37 PM »
Hi.  I have two webcams setup running on Windows 7 through iCamsource.  When I connect with iCam on my iphone i get good framerate when the I look at both the camera sources in grid view.  As soon as I zoom in on one of the sources the framerate drops is massive.  I have tried adjusting the quality in iCamsoure for better framerate but even at the lowest qualtity, i am still receieving the problem.  Any help would be grealt appreciated.

Cheers

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Framerate Over WiFi
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 09:47:29 PM »
The zoomed-in image is larger than the thumbnail image, so a bandwidth limit could explain the difference in frame rate. Is your computer connected to the network through a Wi-Fi connection or an Ethernet connection. If it's a Wi-Fi connection, then you could try connecting your computer directly to the router with an Ethernet cable to see that has any effect on the frame rate.

rockeet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:28:17 AM »
The problem is occurring over WiFi. My home network is running over 802.11n and I have no problem streaming HD content from my HTPC (which the cameras are connected to) to my other computers, so it is not a problem with bandiwith on my home network. The problem exists even if the quality is cranked right down in icamsource.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:03:19 PM »
Does the video appear slow in iCamSource on the computer as well?  The framerate in iCamSource is determined by the camera.

On local Wi-Fi, you should see a few frames per second.
On a remote Wi-Fi hot spot, you should see about a frame per second.
On 3G, Apple requires us to keep the framerate less than 1 frame every 2 seconds (0.5 fps).  This has been the limit since iCam was first released.
On EDGE, you'll probably see about one frame every 5 seconds or so, or as low as 1 frame every 10 seconds if you have a poor EDGE signal.

If the framerate you're seeing is significantly lower than that, please let me know what framerate you are seeing and what connection type you're using.