Author Topic: each single day - Source Connection Error  (Read 5076 times)

smartiboy

• View Profile
each single day - Source Connection Error
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:10:51 AM »
Hi
i am from germany and we have a different ip address after 24 hours provided by our isp. i don't know if the different ip is the reason, but each day i have the same problem that i cannot connect and get that error - Source Connetcion Error - on my iphone 3g
I already opened UDP 12000 - 12100 although i believe that is should have no effect in my simple home wlan, but i gave it a try ... without success :(
I also tried via 3G but also the same error.

Could the changing IP after each 24 hours from my ISP cause this problem?

The iCamSource show me :   Connected to Server.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Interesting thing to mention: After i STOP and START again just by pressing the STOP and START button in right bottom corner, my iphone 3G can connect without problem...

Any help is apprechiated very much, thanks

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: each single day - Source Connection Error
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:36:32 AM »
Are you on a Windows machine? If so, you could write a couple of batch files that you could set to run every day shortly after the IP update....one to kill icamsource.exe (use taskkill command) and then a minute later a second one to restart icamsource.exe. If you're on Windows and need help setting this up, let me know.

Cdd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:37:16 AM »
Are you on a Windows machine? If so, you could write a couple of batch files that you could set to run every day shortly after the IP update....one to kill icamsource.exe (use taskkill command) and then a minute later a second one to restart icamsource.exe. If you're on Windows and need help setting this up, let me know.

That sounds like a really messy solution. Running a script ? Seriously ? Just read my post here : http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=1622.0 

It's soooooo easy to build in inadyn into icamsource, and the only thing the icamsource has to do is check the dyndns the client filled in and if ip changes send an update to the broker server. And Inadyn sources are FREE on sourgeforge... What is the problem ??

Regards

smartiboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:04:24 AM »
Well,  i use it with my OS X , no windows ...

and just for information, in germany all ISP (for normal home users) do have a so called 24 hour IP... after 24 hours they (the ISP) disconnects the line and re-connets immediately. that is normal here.
so every 24 hours we automatically get a new IP address.

Only high expensive business will have a fixed IP address.

an btw. i also thinks that scripting is not my favorite solution, because the 24 hours may not always be on same time. If so, the script must check for new ip address and recognize the change during the whole day. 

thanks

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
iCamSource does have a feature to handle this particular situation, but it needs to be enabled manually.  I'll be sending  you a PM with information about enabling the feature.  We'd prefer not to post the info in the forum since the problem is rare, but the solution adds significant overhead to our servers.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 12:31:27 AM »
Just providing a work around. I didn't know SKJM already had a solution built-in to the program. From reading your post/solution, it sounds like you could have a possible down-time of 5 minutes (although it's highly unlikely to ever experience that). Let's say you experienced a down-time of 4 minutes. That's more than enough time for someone to break in and steal all of your valuables. Granted, the odds of someone breaking in during that down time are virtually zero. But then again...Murphy's Law (do you have that in Europe? lol). Anyway, I hope you're taking advantage of Dropbox for free off-site motion event storage...it will ensure you have images during your down time (if using the solution you talked about). Granted, everyone should use Dropbox regardless of how icamsource is configured if they are using iCam for security purposes.

That sounds like a really messy solution. Running a script ? Seriously ? Just read my post here : http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=1622.0 

It's soooooo easy to build in inadyn into icamsource, and the only thing the icamsource has to do is check the dyndns the client filled in and if ip changes send an update to the broker server. And Inadyn sources are FREE on sourgeforge... What is the problem ??

Regards

Cdd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 02:07:41 AM »
iCamSource does have a feature to handle this particular situation, but it needs to be enabled manually.  I'll be sending  you a PM with information about enabling the feature.  We'd prefer not to post the info in the forum since the problem is rare, but the solution adds significant overhead to our servers.

Would be eager to get this solution as well as for now I've switched to another "dyndns" supported competitor solution. Indeed static ip's here in europe you need to pay extra for it, and most people are on 24H dynamic ip. But I am not understanding the overhead problem, since you don't need to do anything on the servers ? The server only receiving IP (or updated ip) as if you were pressing STOP/START on icamsource, so where's the overhead ?

If you would just add Dyndns name (on/off turnable) into icamsource , the only thing icamsource has to do is NOT read your WAN IP from the net, but just read the IP from the entered DYNDNS name if turned ON, else it does bizz as usual. So where's the overhead for the servers ? Hence you can have icamsource check dyndns ip every 1 minute even : if ip =| same -> do nothing , if ip is different -> update IP on server, done ... where's the overhead ?

AS i said it before, the source for this you can actually get from sourceforge (lookup inadyn) which works with no-ip and dyndns, if you are unable to program this into icamsource, I am willing to do it myself, give me the source for it and i ll compile this into the program within 10 minutes, hence it's so damn easy !

Regards

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 03:00:19 AM »

give me the source...

LOL And you responded sarcastically to my realistic (although not ideal) work around by saying "seriously?" Ah, the irony. From the sound of it, the SKJM guys provided you with a solution to your problem. You paid $5 for this program, and got free/quick customer support that addressed your problem directly and provided a fix for it. But that's not good enough...now you need their source code, which is how they make their money. I'm sure they will implement the dyndns idea (others, including myself, have requested it in the past) when there's a big enough need for it. From being on the forums for a while, I can tell you that they have a large number of feature requests...and this is not one of the most requested ones. It would be nice to have, though.

Cdd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »

give me the source...

LOL And you responded sarcastically to my realistic (although not ideal) work around by saying "seriously?" Ah, the irony. From the sound of it, the SKJM guys provided you with a solution to your problem. You paid $5 for this program, and got free/quick customer support that addressed your problem directly and provided a fix for it. But that's not good enough...now you need their source code, which is how they make their money. I'm sure they will implement the dyndns idea (others, including myself, have requested it in the past) when there's a big enough need for it. From being on the forums for a while, I can tell you that they have a large number of feature requests...and this is not one of the most requested ones. It would be nice to have, though.

First of all, please stay positive on the forum, no need for people who can't read ... as I am trying to find the "I NEED, " the sourcecode ?! ...I only said that if they want I can offer "FREE OF CHARGE" the fact of implementing the inadyn code into the source of the program, I sincerely don't give a rats @ss about the source code m8, so I am failing to see the point of your post. Anyhow, as the problem is indeed fixed, it s creating overhead for the servers so my solution of this inadyn is only helping them to make the program even better, and I am sure they are able to put it in themselfs, so that said, true for 5 dollars you get good support but again, that ain't the point, if you want, go check US LAW art book, where it says "any service/goods/products which have been paid for are liable for .. and it will be a real wake up call to you, the amount is of no importance, it s the fact that you pay for something that wasn t working correctly and now it is

so please only add constructive comments or nothing at all, thx

Regards

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 01:14:17 PM »
Cdd,

You are rather rude to people, which is why I responded to your ignorant comment. Your request for source code from a private company is like asking Microsoft to e-mail you their source code for Microsoft Word...which will never happen. Your interest (or lack thereof) in the actual code doesn't change anything. Further, the "fix" you propose, while it seems simple on the surface, would require a major rewrite of their code based on how icamsource handles networking/etc (I PM'd the SKJM guys asking about it)...which is why they don't just "simply" add this feature (even utilizing the open source program your recommended). You criticize my reading ability, which is funny, and tell me to contribute. I did contribute. From my post, you should have learned that this feature had been requested in the past...and was not a priority vs. many more popular requests. Maybe my reading comprehension isn't that bad after all. Just so there's no confusion, I bolded my contribution in this post. The world is much better when people aren't unnecessarily rude...you should try it sometime.

First of all, please stay positive on the forum, no need for people who can't read ...

smartiboy

• View Profile
[SOLVED]Re: each single day - Source Connection Error
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 02:04:20 AM »
Thanks Jay,

I tried your solution and today i had no problems to connect to the cams.
I checked if the ip address was changed, and it did, so i want to report that my problem is solved.

If you don't mind i want to tell you my 2 ideas for future release

a) europe has 24 hours time format. would be nice to have a 24h switch
b) zoom cam rotation - i would like a auto cam rotation, so maybe each 10 secs the next cam will be automatically zoomed in, 10 secs after the next cam and so on.. rotation. So you can see all cams zoomed after each other.

thanks

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 01:14:28 PM »
smartiboy - I'm glad it's working better for you!

Thanks for those suggestions.