Author Topic: Icamsource add dyndns and port to choose (or range)  (Read 5089 times)

Cdd

• View Profile
Icamsource add dyndns and port to choose (or range)
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:16:03 PM »
I don't understand why Icamsource has to connect to YOUR servers first in order to work for it outside, as this is obviously NOT working when your router at home, on dynamic ip from the isp, changes to another ip. Then you need "AT HOME" stop and restart the icamsource (totally bogus thus).

So why isn't there a straight connection to your home network trough dyndns ? (icamsource dyndns : blabla.dyndns.tv) and port range XXXX to YYYY which i can set manually and set my router port forwarding accordingly ?!

The fact that this is connecting to your servers and only based on login/pass looking for the right one is actually raising privacy issues. Are you actually watching these camera's yourself , as these are your server-based stored logins ?

So please add your own HOST/PORT RANGE setup in Icam for iphone. (like all others doe icamviewer for instance) and on the server your own DYNDNS and PORT RANGE, witch multiple user logins maybe ?

Regards

Cdd

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Icamsource add dyndns and port to choose (or range)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:55:41 PM »
iCam should work fine with dynamic IP addresses.  Do you think your ISP is changing your dynamic IP while the computer is still connected to the internet?  That's pretty rare, but we have heard of a couple cases where that was true. 

If you believe that your ISP is changing your IP dynamically in the middle of a connection, please email your computer's external IP address to support@skjm.com.   To get the external IP address, launch iCamSource and let it connect to the server for at least 10 seconds or so, then immediately go to http://whatismyip.com in your computer's web browser, then email that IP address to support@skjm.com.  Please refer to this forum thread in your email.

Regarding the privacy of the webcam video, no webcam video is ever sent to our servers, the video is all sent over a direct peer to peer connection between your computer and your phone.  Also, the logins and passwords are never sent to our servers.  The only thing sent to our servers is a hash value that uniquely identifies your account.  That hash value that's sent to our server can't be used to access your webcam, because iCamSource doesn't use that hash value to authenticate iCam connections.

Cdd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 03:02:23 AM »
Hi, thx for the reply but you are missing the point here,

Here in europe, a dynamic ip from your isp is very simple, it decides on random occasions to renew your ip, this usually happens once a day. When this happens and ICAMSOURCE is running, it will NOT detect the new IP and send it to your server thus making WAN connections impossible. This is a major flaw in your icamsource program. Why can't you just add (like athome camera http://www.sunraynetworks.com/athome_camera_lite.html from sunray) where i just set my own created DYNDNS and own PORTS or PORTRANGE , without neccessarely going over peer servers.

Now it's :

Icamsource , contacting 65.42.57.134:12613/66.116.97.150:12613 , ip received, login/pass received , waiting for "login/pass" combination from wan.

Problem with this setup is that Icamsource has no INTERVAL POLLING of "ip received", so no updating when the client IP changes (isp dynamic ip).

So why not adding in icamsource
Login :
Pass :
IP/DYNDNS :
Portrange :

This way i can add my own dyndns (witch is updated by my router) and own portrange and open ports in router accordingly to the portrange selected.

Now from the iphone or web i can just connect to my OWN DYNDNS ADDRESS and PORTRANGE to watch the camera's, not depending on the USA servers.

If we would leave on holiday how in heaven's sake we re going to run "what's my ipaddress and email the new ip ? Also why botter to have a camera surveillance program if we have to spend the entire day checking if it works untill the ip changes and we need to do this email thingy of yours ?! Thats ridiculous, don't you think ?

Regards

Cdd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 03:33:12 AM »
Just as a test :

1. Rebooting router (to simulate isp ip change)
2. starting Icam on Iphone , both LAN and WAN
3. "Can not connect ....."

Only possible way to update now is STOP/RESTART icamsource( s ) ...totally unacceptable. Rendering camera surveillance absolete.

There are plenty of inadyn sources on sourceforge available, so if added to icamsource, with people who created a free dyndns or no-ip for that matter, the problem would be solved.

Regards

Cdd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:22:26 AM »
Easy solution :

Now your program acts like this :

When start is pressed, it contacts the usa broker servers and the IP it connects with is stored on your server and broadcasted to LAN??/WAN users (I don't see the point of the other people on LAN first going to broker server and back to home, but hey, whatever) .. anyhow .. SO now we add a case to the icamsource program called MY DYNDNS : (can be obtained for free at www.dyndns.com) or dlink routers have a free one, etc etc .. so now when pressing START the program checks for the dyndnsname, nslookup the name, get's the ip and THAT IP is send to the broker server and just create a 5 minute interval of polling with nslookup :

now just program a 5 minute interval of icamsource checking the IP of the given dyndns name, if changed, then send changed ip to broker server, if not, do NOTHING ... hence this is like 10 minutes work of coding ...

Regards

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
iCamSource does have a feature to handle this particular situation, but it needs to be enabled manually.  I'll be sending  you a PM with information about enabling the feature.  We'd prefer not to post the info in the forum since the problem is rare, but the solution adds significant overhead to our servers.